If misplacing or fighting over the TV remote control is a problem in your household, then you ought to get yourself an Amazon Fire TV Stick.
Amazon’s smart streaming device the Fire TV Stick allows up to seven remote controls to be paired to the TV.
It also works with third-party remote controls and a smartphone app, which lets your smartphone become a remote.
About Fire TV Sticks and Remote Controls:
The Fire TV Stick is a streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port of any TV and lets you access the Fire TV Operating System and its app store. It uses a versatile remote control that connects to the streaming stick. A smartphone remote app is available as well.
1. Are Fire TV Stick Remotes Replaceable?
Should you lose the remote control of your Fire TV Stick or Fire TV, you can replace it with other remote controls.
You need not buy a replacement remote control from Amazon.
Instead, you can use your smartphone or tablet as a remote for your Fire TV Stick by downloading the Fire TV app from the app store of your phone.
2. What Happens if You Lose Your Fire TV Stick Remote?
If you misplace the remote control of your Fire TV Stick, there is no need to fret. You can still control the Fire TV Stick through the remote control app, which is available for your smartphone. Just download the app from your phone’s app store.
Follow these steps to turn your smartphone into a remote for your Fire TV Stick.
- Your smartphone and Fire TV Stick must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Once you download the app on your smartphone, open it and the remote control app will scan for your Fire TV Stick.
- When it finds your Fire TV Stick, it will ask you to enter a four-digit code that will appear on the screen.
- Use the remote app to enter the code, and your phone can now be used to control the Fire TV Stick.
3. Can I Control My Fire TV Stick Without the Remote?
You cannot control the Fire TV Stick without a remote—either the remote that came with the Fire TV Stick, another remote you bought, or the remote app.
If the Fire TV Stick remote goes missing or loses battery power, you can use the app. The app lets you navigate, execute voice commands, and make searches on the Fire TV Stick platform.
If you are using a Fire TV, you can use the app for the same streaming functions as the remote it came with, except for turning on the TV, adjusting the volume, or scrolling through channels that the TV receives over the air (as opposed to through streaming).
4. Can I Control My Fire TV Stick with My Phone?
The Fire TV Stick can be controlled through your smartphone through the app that is available for both iOS and Android.
The remote app has shortcuts to the apps installed on your Fire TV. You can easily open an app without having to scroll on-screen.
5. Can You Buy a Replacement Remote for the Fire TV Stick?
Amazon sells replacement Fire TV Stick remote controls. If you need to buy a new one, look for the Alexa Remote Control.
You can also download the remote control app to your smartphone. Refer to Question 2 for more info.
There are also third-party remote controls that let you pair your Fire TV Stick. Some of them are fully compatible, while others lack features, such as voice control. But make sure you exhibit caution when buying from a third-party seller.
You can use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse as a substitute for your remote, as well. But if you lost the remote control, you will still have to download the Fire TV app to your smartphone, so you can navigate to the Bluetooth controls and pair your keyboard and mouse.
In some cases, you can also use a game controller to navigate the Fire TV Stick.
6. Are Fire TV Stick Remotes Universal?
Fire TV Stick remotes are universal.
7. Do Fire TV Stick Remotes Go Bad?
Fire TV Stick remote controls are generally durable, although some users have reported faulty remote controls after a few months of use.
In rare cases, the remote control does not work out of the box.
Should you have any issues, you can contact Amazon Customer Support and report the problem.
From there, the team will be able to help you diagnose the problem and give a solution.
In some cases, Amazon may replace the whole remote control unit when the malfunction happens within the warranty period.
8. Can a Fire TV Stick Have Two Remotes?
You can add different Fire TV Stick remote controls, as these connect via Bluetooth.
To add another remote control for your Fire TV Stick:
- Go to Settings and open the Controllers and Bluetooth Devices menu.
- Select Amazon Fire TV Remotes.
- Click on Add Remote.
- With the remote control you want to add, press the Home button for five seconds, or until the Fire TV Stick recognizes the remote and displays it on the screen.
- Get the first remote and press the Select button or the circular button inside the Navigating keys. That will confirm the pairing of the newer remote control.
The Fire TV Stick can have up to seven remote controls paired to it, so if family members decide to have their smartphones paired to it, keep in mind this limit.
9. Is There a “Find My Remote” Function for Fire TV Sticks?
There is no Find Remote function on a Fire TV Stick.
But, if you installed the remote app on your smartphone, you can navigate to the Controllers and Bluetooth Devices functions to check if the remote control is within range of the Fire TV Stick.
If your remote control is listed as a paired device, then your remote control is nearby. The Fire TV Stick remote control has a range of up to 10 feet.
10. How Do I Pair a New Fire TV Stick Remote without the Old One?
If you lost your Fire TV Stick remote and want to pair a new one, you may use the remote control app on your smartphone to begin the pairing of the new remote control.
11. How Do I Reset My Amazon Fire TV Stick without a Remote?
Should you need to reset the Fire TV Stick but your remote control is missing, you can still do so with the smartphone app.
12. Why is My Fire TV Stick Remote Control Blinking Orange?
When your Fire TV Stick remote blinks orange or amber, it means the remote is trying to pair with your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick.
Note that, out of the box, your Fire TV Stick and remote control are already paired.
13. Why Won’t My Remote Connect to My Fire TV Stick?
There are a few things to check should your remote control not be connecting to your Fire TV Stick.
- Check the batteries of your remote control. The Fire TV Stick remote consumes a lot of power.
- After replacing the batteries, make sure you are within range of the Fire TV Stick, which is around ten feet (or three meters).
- Unplug and plug back in the Fire TV Stick power adapter or cable.
- If it still does not connect, you should switch to the Fire TV app and pair the remote.
- Do not forget to check how many remote controls are paired, as this affects pairing. Only seven remote controls can be paired with a Fire TV Stick.
- If you are using a third-party remote control, make sure the manufacturer specifies that the Fire TV operating system is part of its compatibility.
14. Why Is My Fire TV Stick Remote Not Working?
As noted earlier, the first thing you need to check is the battery, as these remotes consume a lot of power.
Some users recommend the 1.5 volts alkaline batteries over the rechargeable batteries, which can only churn out 1.2 volts of power and drain faster than disposable batteries.
The next thing you should check is if the remote control has been paired.
Boot up your Fire TV Stick while holding the home button of your remote control for ten seconds. Your remote should be paired automatically.
Note that you will need to repeat this process if the remote and Fire TV Stick don’t pair. Some users report that they had to repeat it a few times to get the pairing right.
There are some cases wherein the buttons do not work.
Should this happen, it might mean that the remote was not paired with the Fire TV Stick correctly.
- You can remedy this by pressing the Home button for 20 seconds.
- If that does not work, turn off your TV and unplug the Fire TV Stick from the power source.
- Then press the Back, Menu, and Left button of the Navigation control at the same time for 20 seconds.
- After this step, remove the batteries of the Fire TV Stick remote and reboot your Fire TV Stick and TV.
- Return batteries of the remote control, then wait for two minutes.
- By this time, your remote control and Fire TV Stick should be paired.
But, if it isn’t paired, press the Home button for 10 seconds to pair them.
You should also check the compatibility of the remote.
Some sellers of third-party remote controls advertise their products as compatible with the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick but are not. Read the reviews of these products carefully. Do not be deceived by these products!
15. Are Fire TV Stick Remotes Backward Compatible?
The latest Fire TV Stick remote works with older Fire TV Sticks.
So, if you own an older version of a Fire TV Stick and your remote controls breaks, you will not have a problem finding a replacement.
16. How Do I Unfreeze My Fire TV Stick Remote?
If your remote freezes, hold the Select button and the Play button for ten seconds, or until your Fire TV Stick shuts down and reboots.
17. Why Does My Fire TV Stick Remote Freeze So Much?
Your Fire TV Stick might be overloaded with apps, many of which may be running in the background, even if you haven’t opened them recently.
The best way to resolve this is to remove apps that you rarely use. These eat up your Fire TV Stick’s memory and cause your device to run poorly.
18. How Do I Reboot My Fire TV Stick Remote?
If you are using the first version or Basic Edition Remote of the Fire TV Stick, here’s how to restart your remote:
- Press the Menu button three times while pressing and holding the Home button.
- Then release the Home button, then press the Menu button nine times.
- Take out the batteries of the remote and unplug the power from the Fire TV Stick, then wait 60 seconds.
- Return the batteries of the remote, then restart the Fire TV Stick.
- Wait for the Home screen to appear, then press and hold the Home button for 40 seconds.
The reboot of the remote should be done in a minute.
For those using the First Generation Alexa Voice Remote, follow these directions.
- Power down your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick and wait for a minute.
- Then, press and hold the Left and Menu buttons at the same time for 12 seconds.
- Release the buttons and wait for five seconds.
- Remove the batteries of the remote control, then plug in the Fire TV Stick and wait again for a minute.
- After that, return the batteries, boot up your device, and press the home button.
- The remote control of your Fire TV Stick should be working now.
If it did not pair, press the Home button for 10 seconds.
If you are using the Second Generation Alexa Voice Remote, or Alexa Voice Remote Lite, here’s what you need to do to restart your remote control.
- Unplug your Fire TV Stick and wait for 60 seconds.
- Then press and hold the Left, Menu, and Back buttons of the remote at the same time for 12 seconds.
- Let go of the buttons and wait for five seconds, then remove the batteries of the remote control.
- Power up the Fire TV Stick and wait for a minute.
- Put back the batteries of the remote, then press the Home button.
- For the second generation Alexa Voice Remote, there will be an LED indicator that should blink blue when paired.
- In both remote controls, if they are not re-paired, press the Home button for 10 seconds.
It’s not at all hard to get a replacement remote control for the Fire TV Stick. It will not set you back that much, and you can even use your smartphone as a temporary replacement for the remote.
If you need an extra remote control for the Fire TV Stick, try going for the official version, so you get access to the full features of the device.