Fitbit has undeniably cemented its position as a titan among fitness trackers.
However, even the most ardent Fitbit fan may grapple with unexpected – and frustrating – screen glitches.
In this article, we take a look at 6 common screen display problems you might face with your Fitbit, providing solutions to get your fitness companion back on track in no time.
Let’s dive in and explore the fixes to these common glitches.
Blank or Black Screen
This frustrating problem can occur due to several factors, such as:
- Low battery levels
- Software glitches
- Hardware malfunctions
When your Fitbit device fails to respond or displays a blank or black screen, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take to address the situation.
Firstly, it is essential to check the battery level of your Fitbit watch. Insufficient battery power can cause the screen to go blank or black.
Connect your device to the charger and allow it to charge for a sufficient amount of time. Once the battery is adequately charged, attempt to power on the device and see if the screen becomes active again.
If charging the device does not resolve the issue, you can try resetting it.
Resetting your Fitbit watch can often rectify software-related problems that may be causing the blank or black screen.
Here’s how to initiate a factory reset on your Fitbit watch:
- Go to the “Settings” menu on your Fitbit watch.
- Find the option related to “System” or “About.”
- Select either of these to access the system settings.
- Look for the “Reset” or “Factory Reset” option within the system settings.
- Tap or select the “Reset” option and confirm your decision to proceed.
- Follow any additional on-screen instructions or enter a confirmation code, if required.
- The watch will restart and go through the initialization process.
- Once the reset is complete, the watch should boot up and display the usual interface.
- Check if the blank or black screen issue has been resolved.
Please note that a Factory Reset will erase all data stored on your device.
In some cases, a blank or black screen could be a result of a more complex hardware problem.
If you have tried charging and resetting your Fitbit watch without success, it is advisable to contact Fitbit customer support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance.
They will be able to diagnose any potential hardware issues and provide the necessary solutions or repairs to restore your device’s functionality.
The Fitbit Screen is Flickering
It is incredibly frustrating when you are trying to access the data on your device but the screen is flickering so much you cannot read any information.
When encountering a flickering screen on your Fitbit watch, it is important to understand that the issue could be caused by a software bug or a hardware malfunction.
One of the first actions you should take is to check for any available software updates for your Fitbit watch.
Fitbit regularly releases updates to address known issues and improve overall performance. So, it’s important to ensure you are using the most up-to-date version of features on your device.
Here’s how to check for updates on your device:
- Firstly, ensure your Fitbit watch is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Fitbit mobile app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap on the profile icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and select the name of your Fitbit watch.
- Tap on “Check for device update” or a similar option to search for updates.
- If an update is available, follow the prompts to install it on your device.
Brightness Issues with your Fitbit
Whether you prefer a brighter screen to easily read your stats during outdoor workouts or a dimmer display for nighttime use without disturbing your sleep, Fitbit offers wearers flexibility to adapt to various lighting conditions.
However, occasionally users have expressed issues where the screen appears either too dim or too bright.
Fortunately, Fitbit offers options to address these concerns and ensure optimal visibility.
To resolve brightness problems on your Fitbit watch, you can start by checking the device’s brightness settings.
Here’s how to adjust the brightness settings on your watch:
- Press the side button or tap the display to go to the main screen.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to access the quick settings menu.
- Look for the brightness icon (sun or bulb symbol) and tap on it.
- In the brightness settings, use the slider or tap from different brightness levels.
- Observe the screen to check if the brightness has improved.
- Repeat the steps above if further adjustments are needed.
In some instances, Fitbit watches feature an auto-brightness function that automatically adjusts the screen’s brightness based on light conditions of your environment.
While this feature aims to optimize visibility, it may occasionally result in unpredictable or undesirable brightness levels.
If you find yourself facing difficulties with auto-brightness, consider switching to manual adjustment instead.
By manually adjusting the brightness, you gain full control over the screen’s illumination, allowing you to set it to a level that best suits your needs.
Please read our article with solutions to Fitbit and Bluetooth problems.
The Touchscreen is not Responding
There is little more annoying in the tech world than a touch screen that does not respond to touch.
If you find that the touchscreen on your Fitbit watch is not responding to your touch, there are several possible reasons for this issue.
These can include the presence of dirt or moisture on the screen, or a software glitch. Fortunately, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the problem.
Cleaning the Screen:
Dirt, dust, or debris on the touchscreen can interfere with its responsiveness.
Start by gently wiping the screen with a soft, lint-free cloth.
Ensure that the cloth is completely clean and free from any particles that could scratch the screen.
Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as they can damage the display.
After cleaning, check if the touchscreen is now responsive.
Drying Off Moisture:
Moisture, such as sweat or water, can also affect the touchscreen’s functionality.
If your watch has been exposed to water or excessive sweat, gently pat the screen dry with a clean cloth.
Take care not to rub the screen vigorously, as it may cause further damage.
Once the screen is dry, check if the touchscreen is responding properly.
Performing a Factory Reset:
If the above steps haven’t resolved the issue, you may need to perform a factory reset. Before proceeding with this step, it’s important to note that a factory reset erases all data and settings on your Fitbit watch.
Consider backing up any important data if possible.
You can follow the same instructions listed at the beginning of the article.
The Screen is Stuck or Frozen
One common issue that Fitbit users have complained of is that their watch is frozen or has a stuck screen.
This frustrating situation can occur for various reasons, such as software bugs or system overload.
Fortunately, there are simple steps you can take to resolve this problem and get your Fitbit back to its normal functioning state.
When your Fitbit screen freezes or becomes unresponsive, the first recommended step is to perform a restart.
This action can help refresh the device’s software and clear any temporary glitches.
Here’s how to restart most Fitbit models:
Locate the buttons on your Fitbit watch. The number and placement of buttons may vary depending on your model.
- Press and hold the buttons simultaneously.
- Keep holding the buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds or until the screen goes blank.
- Release the buttons and wait for a few seconds.
- Press the main button or the power button to turn your Fitbit back on.
- The screen should now display the Fitbit logo or the device’s startup sequence.
If the restart procedure doesn’t resolve the issue and your Fitbit screen remains unresponsive, there are a few additional troubleshooting steps you can try:
- Make sure your Fitbit is adequately charged.
- Verify if your Fitbit is running the latest firmware or software version.
- If you recently installed a new app or watch face on your Fitbit, try removing it temporarily. Some third-party apps or watch faces may conflict with the device’s normal operation and cause screen freezing.
Please also read our article about common issues with Fitbit devices constantly resetting or restarting.
Your Fitbit has an Incorrect Time or Stats Display
This is an annoying issue that can lead to misleading information or a missed meeting, but there are several steps you can take to address the problem and ensure accurate tracking.
It’s essential to ensure that your Fitbit device is syncing correctly with the Fitbit app on your smartphone.
Use these steps to verify syncing:
- Check proximity and Bluetooth: Ensure Fitbit watch is within range and Bluetooth is enabled on both devices.
- Open Fitbit app: Launch the app with the latest version installed.
- Verify connection: Navigate to device settings, select Fitbit watch, check connection status.
- Restart devices: Reboot Fitbit watch and smartphone to resolve software glitches.
- Disable and re-enable Bluetooth: Refresh Bluetooth connection by turning it off and on.
- Forget and re-pair device: Unpair Fitbit watch, follow setup process to establish new connection.
Please also take a look at our article, Fitbit Pairing Problems: 6 Common Issues (Explained)
Verify Wearing Position:
Incorrect tracking can also occur if you’re not wearing your Fitbit properly. Fitbit devices are designed to be worn on the non-dominant wrist, snug but not too tight.
Ensure that the tracker is positioned on the top side of your wrist, about an inch above your wrist bone.
Wearing the band too loose or too tight can affect the accuracy of the heart rate monitor and step counting.
Remember, with any persistent issue, contacting Fitbit customer support should provide further assistance. And, if the device is still under warranty, it may be eligible for repair or replacement.
Pros and Cons of Fitbits
Fitbit screens can offer incredible options which help you make the most out of your device:
- Activity Tracking
- Goal Setting and Progress Monitoring
- Data Visualization
- Notifications and Reminders
Users can encounter issues with their Fitbit screens such as:
- Blank or Black Screen Problems
- The Fitbit Screen is Flickering
- There are Brightness Issues with your Fitbit
- The Touchscreen is not Responding
- The Screen is Stuck or Frozen
- Incorrect Time or Stats Display