If you just want to see what smart tvs we currently recommend, you can always
click here to see the models and prices for our current recommendations
Remote controls are one of the parts of your TV that are most prone to destruction. They get dropped, sat on, spilled on, or lost forever.
So, what do you do if your LG remote breaks? Can you buy one off the shelf, or do you need a specific remote?
Need to Know about the Compatibility of LG TV Remote Controls.
LG TVs are compatible with the standard LG remote, the LG Magic Remote, and some third-party remotes. The Magic Remote is universal and may be used with any LG TV which makes it a good option in case you have several TVs and want convenience around remote controls.
Can I Use Any LG Remote With My TV?
The Magic Remote is compatible with any LG smart TV.
However, the standard remote control only works with select models.
LG has different models of their standard remote control, and each is meant for particular models in their product line.
Does LG Have a Remote That Works Universally?
The Magic Remote is LG’s universal remote control and can work with most LG smart TVs.
This remote features a click anywhere feature that lets you navigate and control TV functions without having to point at your TV. You only need to be within the range of your TV for the Magic Remote to work.
Do LG TVs Have a Remote Control App?
LG has a smartphone and tablet app that lets you use your device as a remote for your TV.
This app was designed to basically act as a second Magic Remote for your LG smart TV.
Can You Replace an LG TV Remote?
You can buy a replacement remote control from LG, but the remote control you need depends on the model of your TV.
- LG has different remote controls meant for specific TVs. You need to check which remote your TV is compatible with.
- You may also use third-party replacements should you not find the official remote meant for your TV.
- A quick replacement for the remote control is the Smart Things App on Android and iOS.
Do LG TV Remotes Have Voice Commands?
Not all LG TV remotes have voice command capability.
- For your LG TV to support voice commands, it must have Google Assistant or Alexa built into it.
- Second, you must have either the Magic Remote or the LG smartphone or tablet app to use voice commands.
Can I Use Alexa to Control an LG TV?
Not all LG TVs have support for Alexa.
Your TV needs to have Alexa built into it for you to link the TV to the Amazon smart home system.
Can I Use Google Assistant to Control an LG TV?
You can use Google Assistant to control your LG TV, provided that it has Google Chromecast or Google Assistant built-in.
You can plug in a Chromecast if your TV does not have this feature, but there may be limitations in functions when it comes to voice commands. And you may need the Magic Remote to use voice command with your LG TV.
For more information, read our article Smart TVs & Google Home: 13 Answers (For Beginners).
How Do I Know Which Remote My LG TV Needs?
If you want a direct replacement for your remote control, you can check the LG Parts website and input your TV model number to get the exact remote control for your TV.
But, if you are not particular about the replacement, you can go for universal remote control.
How Much Does a New LG Remote Cost?
A replacement costs around $22 from the accessories shop of LG.
If you’re looking for universal remote controls, you can get one for as low as $10.
How Do You Pair an LG Remote to an LG TV?
If you need to replace your remote control with a new one, here’s what you need to do.
- Hold down the Power Button and press the manufacturer code. LG’s manufacturer code is 1 (the default) or 2.
- Release the power button to complete the process.
How Many Remote Controls Can You Pair with an LG TV?
You may pair up to two remotes with an LG TV.
Can You Use an LG TV without the Remote Control?
While you can use an LG TV without the remote control, there will be many limitations.
You are likely to be limited to the basics, such as channel switching, volume control, and power functions, which are found behind the TV.
What Are the Best Third-party Remote Controls for LG?
There are a lot of third-party remote controls that work decently with LG TVs.
Whether you lost or broke your remote or just want to harmonize your smart home system into a single remote control, here are some suggested third-party remote controls.
Gvirtue Remote Control
The Gvirtue Remote Control is a no-frills remote control that won’t cost an arm and a leg.
- If you just want something that will help you navigate without the bells and whistles, this remote control is for you.
- This remote control costs less than $10 and doesn’t have any fancy features or over-engineered designs.
- It switches channels, navigates through apps, and also has hotkeys for Netflix and Amazon Prime.
- As this remote control is cheap, it does have some disadvantages, including a cheap feeling and look. Which isn’t too bad, considering how much this remote control costs.
- There may also be lag issues when pressing a button, so you should manage your expectations if you decide to get this.
Logitech Harmony Elite
For those who want to consolidate their remote controls into a single device, the Logitech Harmony Elite might be something you want to look into.
- Aside from controlling smart TVs like LG, the Harmony Elite can also control other devices, such as lights, smart blinds, or even the front door lock.
- The Harmony Elite features an LCD touchscreen that allows for swiping and tapping for navigation.
- The remote system is also compatible with your smartphone through the Harmony App.
- You can also expect wide compatibility with over 270,000 smart devices listed as pairable.
- The downside to this remote is it needs to be connected to a Wi-Fi network to use.
- To check if your device is compatible with the Harmony Elite, you may check the page listed in the Sources at the bottom of this article.
The SofaBaton U1 is another multi-purpose universal remote control.
- It allows you to create hotkeys for particular actions and devices.
- With the help of the smartphone app, you can easily pair and manage up to 15 devices, including cable TV boxes and even the RGB LED lights in your room.
The compatibility of LG remote controls depends a lot on the model.
For the most part, the Magic remote control is the closest you can get to a universal remote control for LG TVs.
Meanwhile, the ordinary remote controls are not exactly universal, as each remote model was designed to work with a particular TV.
For more information on LG TVs, check out our article Are LG TVs Reliable? (Explained For Beginners).