Hulu is one of the most popular streaming platforms available right now. It’s got tons of great content, and it also offers live TV on certain plan tiers.
If you are considering signing up for Hulu, there are a few important things to know before you jump in.
Here’s What You Need to Know about Smart TVs and Hulu.
Hulu is a subscription streaming platform available in all major TV app stores that provides video content. You can also watch Hulu on your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
1. Do You Need a Smart TV for Hulu?
You don’t need a smart TV to watch videos on Hulu, and there are plenty of ways to watch.
If you have a TV with an HDMI port, you can plug a streaming stick, such as the 4th generation or later Apple TV, Fire TV Stick, or select Roku Streaming Sticks.
If you don’t have a TV or are traveling, you have two options to watch Hulu:
- Via smartphone or tablet. Hulu is available on Android and iOS, and you can download the Hulu app from the Google Play Store or App Store of Apple.
- Via desktop or laptop.
To watch Hulu on a browser you need the following:
- At least Mac OS X 10.13, Microsoft Windows 10, or Chrome OS
- The latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
- Hulu also has a Chrome app that you can install.
If you have a Chromecast, you can cast Hulu to a larger screen using the Chrome browser.
2. How Can You Watch Hulu on a Smart TV?
You will need to get a Hulu account to watch Hulu, which you can do on the Hulu website.
When signing up, you will need to choose a subscription plan and enter your payment information. Hulu also has a seven-day free trial option available.
Once you have an account, you can download the Hulu app in the app store of your smart TV and log in with your credentials.
For Vizio smart TVs, you can find the Hulu app in the cloud app drawer of the Smartcast system.
Check our article on Hulu problems if you cannot get it to work.
3. How Do You Connect a Smart TV to Hulu?
You need to have a Hulu account to connect a smart TV to Hulu.
You will have to sign up for an account on the Hulu website and use your credentials to sign in on your smart TV.
4. How Do You Download the Hulu App on a Smart TV?
You can download the Hulu app through the app store of your smart TV.
In some cases, Hulu will come installed with your smart TV.
5. Does Hulu Still Work without a Subscription?
Hulu needs a subscription to work.
But if you are unsure about Hulu’s services, you can sign up for a free trial.
6. Does Hulu Work with All the Major Smart TV Brands?
Hulu works with all the major smart TV brands, such as Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio, to name a few.
You just hook it up and it works!
7. Is Hulu Free on Smart TVs?
Hulu is only usable with a monthly subscription fee, however, if you want to see what’s available on the platform before committing, you can sign up for a free seven-day trial.
Should you decide to sign up for Hulu, the basic plan costs $5.99 a month and can go up to $70.99 with +Live TV and no ads.
8. Can You Remove Ads on Hulu?
You can remove ads on Hulu by subscribing to the No Ads plan.
For as low as $11.99 a month, you can get an ad-free experience on Hulu.
9. How Many Devices Can Use Hulu at the Same Time?
Hulu lets you stream on two devices at the same time.
10. Why Is Hulu Not Working on My Smart TV?
Should you encounter any issues on Hulu, you can do the following:
- Exit Hulu and all other apps, then relaunch Hulu.
- Turn off your smart TV and Internet connection, then turn everything back on after a few minutes.
- Conduct a speed test on your smart TV’s connection.
- Try using other streaming apps, such as Netflix or YouTube, to test for issues.
- Check for app or system updates.
- Clear the cache and data from Hulu
- Remove and reauthorize your smart TV from authorized devices on your Hulu account.
- As a last resort, reinstall Hulu.
During each step above, try opening the Hulu app to check if the problem has been resolved.
11. Why Does My Smart TV Not Have a Hulu app?
Not all smart TVs have the Hulu app preinstalled on them. You will need to install it from your smart TV’s app store to use it.
Note that some smart TVs, such as select LG TVs, come with Hulu preinstalled.
12. What Is Hulu + Live TV?
Hulu + Live TV is the platform’s service for providing TV channels that are usually associated with cable TV.
It’s Hulu’s bid to replace your cable TV subscription.
It also comes with a seven-day trial, which you can opt-out of before the end of the prescribed period.
This service is an add-on to existing Hulu plans, hence the “+ Live TV” tag.
13. Can I Download Hulu Shows to My Smart TV?
Like other smart TVs and streaming platforms, you cannot download Hulu shows for offline viewing.
The storage space in a smart TV is meant for app installation, not storing shows.
14. How Do I Sign in and out of Hulu on My Smart TV?
To sign in to Hulu, open the app and enter your credentials.
If you want to log out, go to Account or open the account icon with your profile name, and then click on log out.
15. How Much Bandwidth Does Hulu Need?
If you want to know how much bandwidth you need for Hulu, consider the following:
- 5 Mbps for SD streaming;
- 3 Mbps for 720p streaming;
- 6 Mbps for 1080p of full HD streaming; and,
- 16 Mbps for 4k Ultra HD streaming.
16. How Can I Watch Hulu without a Smart TV?
If you don’t have a smart TV or will be away from your TV, here are a few ways to access Hulu:
- You can use your smartphone or tablet and download the Hulu app. You can find the Hulu app on Google Play and the App Store of Apple.
- You can watch Hulu from your laptop or desktop’s browser. Hulu is compatible with most browsers, and Hulu also has a Chrome app you can install.
If you have a non-smart TV with an HDMI port, you can plug in these accessories and access Hulu:
- Google Chromecast, partnered with your smartphone or tablet
- Apple TV
- Fire TV Stick
- Roku Streaming Stick
- Select Blu-ray players by LG, Sony, and Samsung
You can also use your gaming console to access Hulu. The following gaming consoles can open Hulu:
- Nintendo Switch, via the eShop app store
- Sony Playstation 3, 4, and 5
- Microsoft Xbox 360 and Xbox One
17. Does Hulu Have Parental Controls?
Hulu features parental controls that you can use to restrict content.
Hulu’s parental controls allow you to create a user profile marked for kids, where you can adjust the restrictions.
18. Can I Block Hulu Access on My Smart TV?
If you think Hulu’s parental controls are insufficient, you can also block access to Hulu using the Parental Controls of your smart TV.
Depending on the smart TV you have, parental controls or the blocking of apps like Hulu may restrict access or prompt you to input a PIN code to open the app.
For more information on blocking content, check out our article How To Block Content & Channels On Smart TVs (Solved!).
19. How Do I Cancel My Hulu Subscription?
If you want to cancel your Hulu subscription, you need to access your Hulu account on a computer.
- Open Account and click on My Subscription.
- Under this menu, you will find the Cancel Subscription option.
- Once you cancel your subscription, you can still access Hulu until the end of the billing cycle.
Note that the cancellation of Hulu varies for those who signed up for the service through a third-party like Amazon or Disney+.