Sky TV offers an appealing service. From sports to entertainment it really has it all.
In this article, you can find the answers you need in order for you to get your Sky TV viewing experience underway with whichever Smart TV you have.
Let’s dive in.
Is Sky TV easily accessible on Smart TVs?
Watching Sky TV is easily achievable.
Below are the three main methods for having Sky TV at home on your Smart TV:
- Purchase a Sky subscription that comes with a Sky Q box and satellite installation.
- Purchase a Sky subscription and download the Sky Go app onto a device, such as a laptop, and stream it to your TV via HDMI or cast.
- Purchasing a ‘pass’ with the Now app on your Smart TV or by purchasing a ‘bolt on’ with your existing TV service provider.
Do you need a Smart TV for Sky TV?
How can you watch Sky TV on a Smart TV?
If you want to watch Sky TV on your Smart TV you will need to subscribe to one of Sky’s packages, have a Sky satellite installed and connect your Sky box to your TV.
- Sky TV, Sky Sports & Ultrafast Broadband
- Build your own package
- Sky TV & Netflix
- Sky TV, Sky Sports & Sports Extra
- Sky TV & Sky Sports
- Sky TV, Cinema & Sports
Packages range in price and you will have to find the deal that suits you best. Each package is a year long with monthly payments. Using their website you can sign-up with ease and even build your own custom package with exactly the features you want.
How do you connect a Smart TV to Sky TV?
Connecting your Smart TV to Sky TV has never been easier.
If you become a Sky TV subscriber today you will receive a Sky Q box as standard, but if you became a member previously you may still have a Sky+HD box.
Let’s look at the setup of this model first.
Connecting your Smart TV and your Sky+HD box
- Find the DISH INPUT ports on your box and connect your satellite cables accordingly.
- Insert your HDMI cable (pink end into the pink socket on the box) and insert the black end into your HDMI port on your TV.
- Take the power cable and insert that into the blue port on your box and then with it connected to the mains, switch on the box.
- With the chip of your viewing card facing the ground, insert it into the slot of the box.
- After waiting four minutes you can turn on your TV.
- Now press the source/input on your TV’s remote and select the correct input.
- Ensure you have batteries in your Sky remote. Then press SKY. The standby light will now turn green.
Have you only used one cable for the DISH INPUT? If so, follow these additional steps:
- Using your Sky remote, press services and 0,0,1.
- Next, hit select to go to the Setup Menu.
- Turn Single Feed Mode on.
- Press both the green button and select, which will deactivate your Sky box.
- Wait a couple of minutes and then press sky. This will turn the box back on.
Now you need to connect your Sky box to your router. Sky recommends using the wired connection method for a much quicker and more reliable connection.
How to connect using a wired connection:
- Locate the Ethernet port on the backside of your Sky box and connect one end of the Ethernet cable.
- Using the other end of the cable plug it into the port on your router.
- Your Skybox will connect to your broadband automatically.
There are two ways to connect wirelessly, using WPS or using your Wi-Fi password.
How to connect using a WPS:
- Hold the WPS button on your router down for a few seconds and it will begin to flash.
- Straight away press the WPS button located on your Sky box.
- A solid amber light on your Sky box means that you have successfully connected to your internet.
How to connect with your Wi-Fi password:
- Using your Sky remote, select services and then select Settings.
- Choose Network, and then finally select ‘Connect with Password’.
- You will see the option to select your Wi-Fi and once you have done this you will be prompted to enter your password.
- Your Sky box will now be connected to your Wi-Fi network.
Connecting your smart TV with your SkyQ box
- Firstly, insert the pin of your DISH cable into the rear side of the box and tighten the metal nut to connect.
- Take your HMDI cable (pink) and connect it to the corresponding ports on both the Sky Q box and the TV.
- Take the power cable (blue) and insert into the corresponding port in your Sky Q box. The other end must be connected to the mains.
- Next, take your viewing card and insert it firmly into your box. Ensure that the chip is facing upwards and you place it in chip first.
- Switch on your box and wait for the start-up messages to complete, then press Home on your remote.
- Take your Sky Q remote and press the 1 and 3 buttons together, holding them down until the light flashes red 4 times.
- Now choose Continue.
- Set or select which brand of TV you have.
- Choose Home on your remote and then access Settings > Setup > Network.
- Using the instructions displayed on-screen will allow you to connect your box to the router.
- Now pair your viewing card by first selecting Home on your remote then Settings > System info > Viewing card number > Setup > Viewing card setup.
Connecting your smart TV to Sky Glass
The brand new Sky Glass TV (available in 2022) makes things even easier for users by having an integrated system without the need for satellite installation. Meaning you can just plug in your Sky Glass TV and begin your Sky experience completely fuss-free.
How do you download the Sky TV app on a Smart TV?
When you purchase a Sky TV package you will have access to a multitude of apps ready and stored on your box.
When you sign up for a subscription with Sky you will choose a package that suits your needs, such as which apps you want and also if you need to order additional mini boxes for your other TVs.
Your Sky package will dictate which apps you have access to on your Smart TV, and they include, but are not limited to:
- Sky News
- Sky Sports
- Sky News Weather
- Sky TV
- Sky Cinema
- Disney +
Although you will have a great selection of apps to access from your Sky Q box, there is an important app that you shouldn’t forget about downloading:
Sky Go is Sky’s go-to-app (no pun intended!) and it allows you to even start your viewing experience as soon as you have bought your Sky TV package. That’s right! Even before you’ve had the engineers over to make the installation.
Sky Go allows you to watch Sky TV on up to 4 devices simultaneously. Other perks include:
- Allows users to enjoy the Sky experience even when you’re away from your TV.
- It’s completely free for all Sky subscribers.
- It’s available for PC, Mac, tablets and smartphones (including iOS and Android).
- A mix of both live and on-demand tv is available.
- You can cast this app to Smart TVs (not possible with phones and tablets).
So, you may be wondering how exactly can you use this amazing app on your Smart TV. Unfortunately, because this app is not available for download on Smart TVs, you will have to cast it from another device.
How to cast the Sky Go app to a Smart TV?
Let’s take a look at three easy ways to ensure you can use the Sky Go app on your Smart TV:
Before you get started, make sure you’ve downloaded the app to a laptop.
- Connect to the Wi-Fi that is also being used by your Smart TV.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Using the right-click menu choose Cast.
- Next, find the Sources menu and choose Cast Desktop.
- Now you will have mirrored your computer display to your TV.
- Open the Sky Go app and you will have no problem watching Sky TV from any Smart TV.
How to use the Sky Go app on your Smart TV using HMDI?
- Have the app already downloaded on your laptop.
- Find the HDMI port on both laptop and tv and connect the two via an HDMI cable.
- Your laptop will detect your TV as a second monitor allowing the screen of your laptop to be mirrored.
- Next simply open the Sky Go app on your laptop, sit back, and enjoy your show.
How to use a gaming console to use Sky Go?
- Connect your gaming console (Xbox, PlaySation etc.) to your Smart TV using an HDMI cable.
- Check that you have connected both your Smart TV and your console to the same Wi-Fi connection.
- From your console’s home page you must find the app section and open Sky Go.
- Now just select the show you want to watch and enjoy.
Can you cast the Sky Go app from your phone to a smart tv?
Unfortunately, you are unable to cast from your Sky Go app on your phone to a Smart TVcbecause Sky has blocked this ability on phones and tablets. You can of course use the app and enjoy the service on your mobile.
Remember, you cannot use the Sky Go app unless you already have a Sky TV subscription, this is because you need to have a Sky ID which is only available for users with a subscription.
Does Sky TV still work without a subscription?
Perhaps you’ve been put off by the price of a subscription for Sky TV packages, but you’re still itching to watch some of your favorite shows? Well, there is a solution.
Have you heard of Now TV?
The streaming service ‘Now’ actually comes under the umbrella of Sky. It includes so much content from Sky’s most popular channels and even allows you to access live streaming and on-demand.
Basically, if you have Now you can watch shows that feature on Sky, both live and also at a time that suits your schedule.
Signing up with Now has the added benefit that you do not need to be subscribed to Sky.
What you have instead is the ability and flexibility to purchase monthly, or even, daily ‘passes’. With these ‘passes’ you can pick and choose which channels from Sky you want to have access to.
These ‘passes’ that Now offers can be canceled any time you like, which is pretty handy if you feel you’re not using the service as much as you were the previous month.
As Now is simply a streaming service you also can forgo the need to have a satellite dish installed on your roof, but remember, you’ll still need broadband and a decent connection.
How to get Now on your Smart TV?
Now is an app that comes with some Smart TVs and you may be one of the lucky ones to have it preinstalled. However, if you’ve just had a scroll through your apps and don’t seem to have it then here’s what you can do:
- Buy a Sky Now TV smart stick (retails for £15). Often includes a free ‘pass’ meaning you can enjoy your first month at no extra cost.
- YouTube box – grants your TV the ability to use the Now app.
- Install the Now app on one of your devices, such as a laptop, and then connect it to your TV via cast or HDMI cable.
Do note, Now is only available in the UK.
Are there any other ways to get Sky TV on your Smart TV?
Another way around a Sky subscription is by using what is called a ‘bolt on’ using a provider you are already with.
If you have got a TV subscription with a different provider, such as or , you can add most of Sky’s entertainment offerings to these services.
Does Sky TV work with all the major Smart TV brands?
So long as you have an HDMI port on your Smart TV then you can have access to Sky TV. Either you can connect a Sky box to your Smart TV or you can access Sky channels via the Now app or with a ‘bolt on’ from your existing service provider.
This can be done with all major brands such as Samsung, Vizio, LG, and Sony.