YouTube was a big player in home entertainment way before smart TVs emerged as the must-have entertainment device.
But YouTube has kept up with the times, and it jumped on the chance to bring its streaming service to a bigger screen by becoming compatible with smart TVs.
But how exactly do YouTube and smart TVs work together?
Here Is What You Need to Know about Smart TVs and YouTube.
Smart TVs are powerful home entertainment fixtures that allow you to access content on-demand from the Internet at any time you want, including YouTube, which is now one of the hundreds of streaming platforms you can access on a smart TV.
1. Can You Watch YouTube with a Smart TV?
One of the key features of smart TVs is that they allow you to watch content from many different platforms, including YouTube.
All you need to do is download the YouTube app from your smart TV’s app store. It’s free!
2. Do All Smart TVs Work with YouTube?
Most modern smart TVs work with YouTube. In fact, they usually come with YouTube pre-loaded as a default app.
Some smart TVs even have a dedicated button on the remote to launch YouTube in one click.
3. Does YouTube Have an App for Smart TVs?
If your smart TV did not come with YouTube pre-downloaded out of the box, you can download it through your smart TV’s app store.
YouTube has an app available on most major smart TV platforms.
4. Can I Sign Up for YouTube on My Smart TV?
You need to sign up for YouTube on a smartphone or computer before you can sign-in on the smart TV app, and you cannot sign up for a YouTube account on your smart TV itself.
But it is worth noting that you can still use YouTube and its app even if you don’t have an account.
The advantage of logging into your YouTube account is that you can access your bookmarks and previously viewed videos.
Note that if you have a Google account, you can use that instead to log in to YouTube on your smart TV.
5. Can You Watch YouTube on a Non-smart TV?
If you don’t have a smart TV, here are some ways you can watch YouTube on it.
If your non-smart TV has an HDMI port, you can plug into Chromecast and beam YouTube from your computer or smartphone to the Chromecast dongle, which will then play YouTube content.
Streaming Boxes or Sticks
You can also watch YouTube by plugging a Streaming Box or Stick into your smart TV’s HDMI port.
Unlike the Chromecast option, devices such as the Roku Streaming Stick or Amazon Fire Stick can do more than casting content. You can install apps with them, including YouTube.
You can also use moderns gaming consoles like the Playstation 5 and Microsoft Xbox to watch content from YouTube.
These consoles have app stores where you can download the YouTube app.
6. Can You Delete or Block YouTube on a Smart TV?
You can delete or block YouTube on smart TVs by activating parental controls. The process differs depending on the brand and model of your smart TV.
In some cases, blocking YouTube will require that you input a PIN code before you can access it.
If you want to know more about controlling access to the YouTube platform, you can check out our article How to Block YouTube on Smart TVs.
7. Can You Download YouTube Videos on Smart TVs?
You cannot download YouTube videos on your smart TV.
You can only download videos from YouTube onto your smartphone or tablet.
8. Can You Shuffle a YouTube Playlist on Smart TVs?
As it is, the YouTube interface on smart TVs does not have any shuffle options.
If you want to shuffle play videos you’ve curated, you can do so by casting YouTube from your smartphone or computer onto your smart TV.
9. How Much Bandwidth Does YouTube Need on a Smart TV?
You need a bandwidth of at least 5 Mbps to watch YouTube content in HD resolutions.
If you want 4k UHD, you need at least 25 Mbps of bandwidth.
10. Are All Smart TVs Compatible with YouTube?
Most modern smart TVs are compatible with YouTube.
If your smart TV was released in 2013 or later, it is likely that your smart TV already has YouTube pre-installed.
11. Why Can’t I Watch YouTube on My Smart TV?
If you are having trouble watching YouTube on your smart TV, there are a few things you can check.
- Smart TVs need to be connected to the Internet to stream YouTube, so the first thing you need to check is your Internet connection. Modern smart TVs can be connected to the web via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- Next, you should check the speed of your connection. You need at least 3 Mbps to watch content on YouTube.
- If your Internet connection is okay, clear the cache of the YouTube app. You can do this by opening the Apps Menu in the Settings of your smart TV.
- If it still does not work, consider reinstalling the YouTube app, if applicable.
- You may also try restarting your smart TV by unplugging it for a minute, then plugging it again to reboot the whole system.
12. Why is YouTube Pixelated on My Smart TV?
Here are two reasons why YouTube may look pixelated on your smart TV.
The video could be an old upload.
Early YouTube videos were uploaded in older and now-outdated low-quality resolutions.
Some of these videos might have been in 480p, while your smart TV is set to stream at HD.
There is a big difference between the two resolutions, and unless your smart TV has good upscaling features, the video you are watching will be pixelated.
Remember that YouTube is one of the older streaming platforms and still has plenty of videos uploaded from its early days!
Check the default resolution set for the video.
YouTube has the default resolution of videos set to 480p to help save on bandwidth consumption.
Your YouTube settings might still be set at that resolution, which many are unaware that they can change now.
Pixelation may also occur because of your Internet speed.
If the video resolution is too high for your Internet speed, you can experience pixelation or stuttering while streaming.
You should consider shifting to a lower resolution to have a smoother streaming experience.
13. Why is YouTube Buffering on My Smart TV?
Buffering happens when your Internet connection cannot meet the minimum requirements of YouTube.
It means your smart TV is not getting enough bandwidth from your Internet connection. That usually happens when your network is congested with different devices.
If you are using a dual-band router, you can resolve this issue by segregating bandwidth-intensive devices.
You can also disconnect other devices not in use so that your smart TV can stream smoothly.
14. What Channel Can You Find YouTube On?
YouTube is not a channel on your TV, but rather an app that you install on your smart TV.
You can find it in the app store of the TV, along with the other apps.
15. How Much Does YouTube for Smart TV Cost?
YouTube is free to use. You can even use it without signing up for an account.
But YouTube does offer a premium subscription, which offers an ad-free experience.
The premium subscription costs $11.99 a month with a 30-day free trial. There is also a family plan that costs $17.99 monthly and can be used by up to five people at the same time.
16. Is YouTube the same as YouTube TV?
The two services are different, and they have different apps within the app store.
YouTube, including the Premium service, focuses its content on user-uploaded material. These include personal videos and videos by content creators who monetize their channels.
Meanwhile, YouTube TV is an exclusive service from YouTube that offers TV channels for streaming. It was developed as a replacement for cable TV subscriptions and delivers content from cable and regional channels.
17. Help! I Got the Message “Can’t Connect YouTube and Smart TV Right Now.”
Should you be unable to connect YouTube to your smart TV, you may want to try restarting your Internet connection and smart TV.
Unplug both devices and plug them in again after 60 seconds, then check if YouTube connects to your smart TV.
18. Can You Upload Videos to YouTube Using Your Smart TV?
The YouTube app on smart TVs only lets you watch videos on the screen.
If you are looking to upload your latest vlog, you should use a mobile device or your computer.
19. How Do I Sign in and out from YouTube on My Smart TV?
There are three ways to sign into YouTube on your smart TV.
Sign-in via Mobile Device
You can sign in through your smartphone or tablet.
- Make sure that your smart TV and device are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your smart TV, click on Sign In using a mobile device.
- Open the YouTube app on your smartphone or tablet.
- You will be prompted with a set of instructions to proceed on your TV.
Sign-in via smart TV
You can also sign in to YouTube on your smart TV itself.
- Click on Sign In within the app.
- You will then input your email or phone number associated with the YouTube or Google account you use.
- Then verify your account, based on the instructions that will be displayed.
Sign-in via Web Browser
You can also sign in using your web browser.
- On your smart TV, choose sign in via web browser.
- Then open a web browser on your smartphone or computer and go to YouTube.com/activate.
- You will be asked to input the code on your smart TV on the activation page.
- Then continue signing into your account.
Logging out of YouTube on your smart TV
If you want to log out from your YouTube account on your smart TV:
- Open the app and click on the menu to the left.
- Click on your Profile Picture, which will open the account settings.
- Select your account and choose sign out.
20. What is the Best Smart TV for YouTube?
If you are looking for a good smart TV for watching YouTube content, you should consider the LG CX, which offers great images consistently, at a competitive price.
For those on a budget, the Hisense H8G is a viable option. It comes with quite remarkable images at an affordable price.
You can see more options in our article 6 Popular Smart TVs Compatible With YouTube TV.
YouTube is one of the most accessible streaming platforms you can get on your smart TV.
It’s free and comes with lots of great curated content that can match many viewers’ interests.
What makes it even better is how many smart TV brands have embraced the platform. Many even have it as a pre-downloaded app on their TVs.