Power strips are designed to be used in areas where there are lots of electronic devices, such as computers and televisions.
However, many people wonder if power strips need ventilation. This is a valid question because most power strips have no ventilation holes or spaces between the plugs and the openings on the strip itself.
In addition to this lack of air flow, many people also wonder if these appliances produce heat when they are running at full capacity.
In this article today I will talk to you abut power strips and whether they need ventilation or not.
Here’s If Power Strips Need Ventilation:
Power strips don’t need ventilation. Your home’s wiring and outlets are designed to handle the heat generated by your electronic devices, as long as they’re properly installed and maintained. However, there are some exceptions that warrant paying attention to power strip ventilation.
Do Power Strips Need Space and Ventilation?
The short answer is yes: power strips do need space and ventilation.
In fact, according to Underwriters Laboratories (UL), “placing a power strip where it will be exposed to excessive heat or moisture may cause fire or electric shock.”
This includes areas near water sources such as bathtubs or sinks, as well as areas where there’s an accumulation of dust and debris.
How Much Space Do Power Strips Need?
The National Fire Protection Agency recommends that you leave about 6 inches of space on each side of your power strip when you plug it into an outlet.
This will allow air flow around the device so that it can dissipate heat more easily.
It’s also important to keep a distance between any other objects and your power strip because if something falls into the open socket, it could cause damage to your home electronics or even start a fire.
How Can You Properly Ventilate Your Power Strip?
Power strips are a great way to save space, but they can also be a fire hazard if they aren’t properly ventilated.
The National Electrical Code (NEC) requires that power strips be installed so that all components are at least 6 inches away from any wall or surface and have an unobstructed airflow of at least 3 inches between the strip and the wall.
To ensure your safety and prevent fires, follow these tips on how to properly ventilate your power strip:
- Unplug the power strip from the wall when not in use. This will help prevent any potential fires from starting while you’re away from home or when you’re sleeping. Keep in mind that some electronics continue to draw current even when turned off or unplugged, so don’t rely on just unplugging them to keep them safe!
- If possible, place your power strip away from furniture and other flammable items. This will limit the chances of starting a fire if something does go wrong with your electronics.
- Don’t overload your power strip with too many devices at once. If you have more than one device plugged into each socket on your power strip and they all start drawing electricity at once (for example, if you turn on all of your lights at once), then this could overload the outlet and potentially cause a fire as well as damage.
- Use an Extension Cord When Possible. If you need to use more than one appliance at a time but don’t want to buy multiple power strips, use an extension cord instead. They designed extension cords for this purpose and can connect multiple appliances together with ease. If you only need one appliance plugged into the extension cord, however, then it’s best to use a short extension cord instead of several long ones. Longer cords will increase your risk of tripping over them and damaging them or being shocked by exposed wiring if any of them come loose from their connection points on either end of the cord.
Read our blog here about 3 reasons when power strips stop working.
Can Overloaded Power Strips in Small Spaces Catch Fire?
Power strips are a common feature in many small spaces. They provide an easy way to plug in multiple devices, but they can also be dangerous.
Overloaded power strips are more likely to catch fire than non-overloaded ones, according to a recent report from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
The CPSC estimates that there are 15,000 residential fires and 10 deaths each year caused by overloaded power strips and extension cords. Faulty wiring or poor design, which makes it difficult for people to tell if their power strip is overloaded or not can start these fires
Why Does Overloading Cause Fires?
The main reason that overloaded power strips catch fire is that they’re not designed to handle all of the electricity flowing through them at once.
When too much current flows through a device, it can cause overheating and short circuits that lead to sparks and fires.
How Much Current Do You Have?
Power strips come with ratings that tell you how many amps they can handle and how many watts they can deliver at one time.
If you try to plug something into your power strip that uses more than its rated capacity, the electrical wires inside will overheat and start smoking — which could lead to an electrical fire in your home or office.
The amount of current flowing through your home’s wiring depends on several factors:
- The age of your home’s electrical system.
- How many people live there (more people mean more appliances).
- If you have older appliances with higher wattage ratings.
Where Should You Place a Power Strip?
An overheating power strip can be a fire hazard and can also damage your electronics. In order to avoid this problem, you should know where to place your power strip.
The best place for your power strip is on the floor at the base of your desk near where it plugs into an outlet.
You want to make sure that you don’t put it too close to the wall because this will make it harder for you to reach when plugging devices in or unplugging them from the strip.
If you have multiple items that need charging, consider getting a long power strip so that you can plug everything in without having cords running all over your desk.
If you have multiple devices that need charging at once, then it’s better to buy a surge protector with built-in overload protection which will automatically cut off power when the current exceeds its capacity.
Another thing to remember is that each device has different specifications so choose one that meets all your needs.
Here are some places where it’s safe to place a power strip:
- Behind furniture or appliances.
- In an enclosed space (like under a desk).
- In front of an air conditioner or heater.
Where Should You NOT Place a Power Strip?
When you place something on the floor, it becomes an obstacle where people could trip over it or trip into it while they’re walking around.
Water is also a bad idea because when it comes into contact with electricity, it can cause burns or shocks. If you want to protect your home from electrical fires and other dangers, don’t put your power strips near water sources like sinks or bathtubs.
Here are some places you should never place your power strip:
- Underneath a table or desk.
- Behind a piece of furniture.
- In the kitchen.
- In your garage (unless it’s connected to a surge protector).
- In front of an air conditioner or heater vent.
- Near Large Appliances: Never put a power strip near large appliances like refrigerators or air conditioners because they produce large amounts of heat which can melt the plastic casing around the outlets on your power strip.
Check out our blog here about how long can power strips last?
So yes, power strips do need ventilation, and thus you should try to keep these devices from being blocked or covered up.
But the good news is that you really can’t go wrong on this one—if you’re living in an area where it gets pretty hot or humid in the summer, just be sure to leave your power strips some breathing room.
If you live in a place that’s more temperate year-round, then just plug and unplug as necessary. Either way, your gadgets are likely to live longer.