Owlet baby monitors offer a luxury line baby monitor that has modern features and a tailor-made app that allows your phone to be utilized as a baby monitoring device.
Most baby monitors are pretty simple devices that allow you to watch over your child as he or she sleeps. But the owlet is different. It’s the first in-home connected health monitor for babies and children. It’s accurate, simple, and easy to use, but it doesn’t come without some problems.
Here are 9 major issues parents are complaining about with the Owlet baby monitors and how to solve them.
Problems With The Background Audio Feature On Your Owlet Baby Monitor
The background audio feature Owlet baby monitors employ allows parents to use other apps and even lock their phone whilst still producing the audio from their baby’s room.
This ability to be able to simultaneously hear the child whilst using other apps or having the phone locked to save battery is a revolutionary idea, but if you’ve been having some difficulties you may not be impressed.
To ensure your background audio feature is enabled and performing its function, just follow these easy steps:
- Open your Owlet baby monitor app on your mobile phone.
- From the ‘Home‘ tab you need to click the up arrow.
- The arrow will be found next to the connected Cam.
- A dropdown menu will open and display a range of options.
- Find the arrow that sits beside ‘Cam Audio‘ and click it.
- You will now have the option of either ‘on’ or ‘off’.
- Toggle the setting to ‘on‘ for the ability to hear the audio from your camera whilst the app is open.
- You can also toggle the option for ‘background‘ which will allow you to hear your camera’s audio even when the app is closed.
Remember, you must have the latest version of the Owlet app on either iPhone or Android in order for this feature to function correctly.
My Owlet Baby Monitor Is Not Sending Notifications
The sound and motion notifications add another unique feature to the Owlet baby monitor’s repertoire of clever tricks.
- Sound and motion notifications activate when either there is sound or movement detected in your baby’s room.
- The notifications are sent to your phone via the Owlet app.
- The sensitivity of what triggers these notifications can be adjusted.
- The frequency in which you receive notifications can also be adjusted so that if your baby cries for a certain duration, the notification will only be triggered once that time has been exceeded.
- However, if you are having difficulties enabling these features or adjusting them to preferences that work for you then you should use the following guides.
How To Configure and Enable Sound And Motion Notifications On Owlet Baby Monitors
- To enable the sound and motion notifications, open your Owlet app on your mobile device.
- Select the Account tab.
- Choose ‘Cam‘ in the ‘My Owlet Devices‘ list and scroll to the ‘Owlet Cam Settings‘.
- From here you can adjust a range of options.
Sound Notification Options
- You can toggle ON/OFF for your detection notifications.
- When toggled to OFF all mobile devices that are attached with the Owlet account will cease to receive notifications in regards to noise detection.
- The high sensitivity option, once selected, will result in notifications being received due to even the most minute noises.
- If you choose to activate the low sensitivity option then you will only receive a notification once substantial noise occurs.
- You can also find the option to change the time between notifications and set a minimum time before the next notification will be sent.
Motion Notification Options
- You can toggle ON/OFF for your motion detection notifications.
- When toggled to OFF, all mobile devices that are attached with the Owlet account will cease to receive notifications in regards to motion detection.
- The high sensitivity option, once selected, will cause notifications being received due to even the tiniest of movement.
- If you choose to activate the low sensitivity option then you will only receive notification once considerable movements occur.
- You can also find the option to change the time between notifications and set a minimum time before the next notification will be sent.
If you are not receiving notifications, then ensure it set the relevant settings to ‘ON’ and try increasing the sensitivity of the detection system for the relevant notification problem.
Remember, for iPhones and other iOS devices you must have notification enabled on the device’s settings.
To do this simply navigate first to:
- OwletCare App.
- Set to ‘ON‘.
My Owlet Baby Monitor’s Camera Keeps Displaying An Error Code
If you’re receiving error codes on your Owlet baby monitor’s camera, it could be for a variety of reasons.
Here you can look at some of the common error codes and what to do to resolve them.
Error Code OC01 Accompanied With Red And Blue Flashing Lights
- This indicates that the WiFi password or the SSID is incorrect.
- Try inputting the correct passwords.
- Or, your mobile device is no longer on 2.4Ghz.
- Devices on 5Ghz are not supported.
Remember that passwords are case-sensitive and that there may be special characters that need to be used.
Error Code OC01 Accompanied With Solid Blue Light
- This indicates that the LAN search has failed.
- Your camera cannot access the app via your router.
- Remember not to close the Owlet app whilst in setup.
- Ensure your network settings are not stopping devices from linking with each other.
- Guest networks will usually block communication between devices.
- This error can be resolved by ensuring the power cables are connected securely at both ends.
- You may also need to conduct a ‘hard reset‘. Information on this can be found later in this article.
My Owlet Baby Monitor’s Camera Is Not Turning On
The camera for an Owlet baby monitor helps parents monitor their child, even when they’re not in the same room.
If your camera won’t turn on then it can seem like a big problem.
A camera that won’t power up is a camera that cannot keep a watchful gaze over your little one.
Owlet has given the following advice to ensure that you have your camera properly connected:
“The micro USB cable from the cord into the camera.
The usb into the usb power block.
And the power block into a functioning outlet.”
If you find that your camera is still not switching on then try another outlet.
If this fails then it could mean that the camera needs to be replaced.
My Owlet Baby Monitor’s Temperature And Humidity Sensor Seems To Be Malfunctioning
Your Owlet camera is fitted with sensors that keep tabs on the humidity and temperature of the room in which your baby is in currently.
They’re a great safety feature that helps parents understand the levels in the room and adjust them accordingly depending on the readings.
However, issues such as power cuts or an interruption in your WiFi connection can interfere with the temperature and humidity readings, or worse still, render them useless.
If you’ve been experiencing incorrect readings, or not having any readings being displayed at all, then try the following:
Perform A Power Cycle To Fix Your Owlet Baby Monitor’s Temperature And Humidity Sensors
More often than not, performing a power cycle of your device will resolve any issues you may be experiencing in terms of temperature and humidity malfunctions.
- Remove the power cable from your Owlet baby monitor’s camera and wait 5 minutes.
- Now re-attach the cable to the camera.
- Ensure that your camera is fully connected to your power outlet.
Your power cycle is now complete. If this has not resolved your issue then read on for more troubleshooting advice.
- The thermostat for your Owlet baby monitor is within the USB cable for your camera.
- Always ensure that the section which holds the thermostat is in a well-ventilated area so that it can detect the same ambient air as the baby.
- Do not allow the cable to be by sources of heat such as radiators or devices that run hot.
- Do not allow the cable to be by sources of cold such as fridge freezers or air conditioners.
- Misreadings can occur if the cable, and of course the thermostat, are not inadequate conditions to take accurate readings.
Read our blog here about 6 problems with HelloBaby baby monitors here.
My Owlet Baby Monitor’s Camera Is Not Streaming Video
If you’re checking up on your baby who is sleeping in the other room, but your app is showing no video then you have a bit of a problem.
Troubleshoot the issue in the following way by using this handy guide below:
- Close the Owlet App fully on your device.
- Now reopen the app.
- Ensure that your WiFi is on and you are connected to the same network as the camera.
- You can also run a speed test to ensure that both your download and upload speed meet the criteria necessary in order to stream the Owlet camera.
- The camera needs 2 Mbps bandwidth to ensure streaming.
- Make sure that your Owlet app is updated.
- Check that your camera’s firmware is up to date.
- If an update is necessary, you should see an orange bar in your Owlet app’s main view.
- You can also try rebooting the camera.
- Unplug the power cable from your camera.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Insert the power cable and wait for the camera to power back up.
- Check the camera status lights for signs of errors.
If these tips did not resolve your issue then you may want to try re-pairing your camera.
My Owlet Baby Monitor’s Camera Is Not Paired
It’s simple to pair or re-pair your Owlet baby monitor’s camera if you know the steps to take. Just follow along to have your camera paired and operating normally once again:
- Hold the button on the rear of your camera.
- The button can be located below the vents of your device.
- Keep the button held and wait for the camera’s lights to flash in alternating blue and red.
- It can take around 3 seconds for this process to start so be patient.
- Keep an ear out for the confirmation alert.
- You should hear the words ‘ready to pair‘.
- Once you hear the phrase you need to release the button.
- Your camera has now entered pairing mode.
- Your camera will now pair with your device.
- If this does not happen then perform a factory reset.
How Do You Reset An Owlet Baby Monitor?
Below are the instructions for how to reset both your Owlet baby base station and camera.
Restoring your Owlet baby monitor to the factory default settings is the first step to take when attempting to fix most minor issues you may be experiencing.
How To Reset Your Owlet Base Station And Remove Previous Wireless Networks
- To start, ensure the base station is connected to power.
- Locate both the small register button on the outer circle of your device and the main base station button in the center.
- Press and hold these buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds.
- The base station will now undergo a hard reset, clearing all saved wireless connections.
How To Reset Your Owlet Camera
- Locate the button on the back of your Owlet camera.
- Hold down for at least 15 seconds.
- The LED lights will switch off along with a voice response of ‘Resetting, please wait’.
- Now you can release the button. Your camera has completed its reset.
Your Owlet camera should then automatically go into pairing mode, ready to re-pair with the base station.
Where Can You Get An Owlet Baby Monitor Repaired?
If your Owlet baby monitor is in need of repair or a replacement part, first check if it is still under warranty.
Owlet Baby Care Inc. provides both a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 1-year warranty for its baby monitors (6 months if they are refurbished).
These are both valid from the original date of setup with the Owlet app.
Do note, Owlet states:
“We do not warrant our products against general wear and tear or damage as a result of misuse, modifications or improper maintenance.”
Therefore, if for any reason your baby monitor needs cosmetic repair or has passed the warranty period, it will be at your own cost.
If you want to make a warranty claim, simply contact Owlet through the contact details below.
Phone: +46 135 1020
Next, you will need to:
- Obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number from the Owlet customer care team.
- Return your product at your own cost with the proof of time and location of purchase and the RMA number you were given.
Why Is My Owlet Baby Monitor Saying No Signal?
Have a look at these troubleshooting tips to help resolve any connection issues you are having with your Owlet baby monitor.
- Try moving the base station closer to your Wi-Fi router or try using a router with a stronger/wider range.
- Ensure you are using the correct Wi-Fi password.
- Make sure they connect you to a 2.4Ghz network (5G is not compatible with the Owlet baby monitor).
- The Owlet Smart Sock relies on Bluetooth to connect to the base station.
- If the Bluetooth is blocked by someone holding the baby, the signal is lost. This can be a common reason you lose signal even whilst the child is being cuddled.
- Your Owlet camera or base station may need to be reset.
- Simply follow the steps in ‘How do you reset an Owlet baby monitor?’ to restore your monitor back to its factory settings.
- Inspect the power cable for signs of damage. Simply order replacement cables if you find this is the problem.
If your Owlet baby monitor keeps disconnecting or not connecting at all there may be an issue with the Owlet app. Try force closing the app and opening it fresh.
Why Is My Owlet Baby Monitor Going Black?
If the video output on your Owlet App is blank, you can find the solutions you need below.
- There may be an error with your app. Try deleting and reinstalling the Owlet app by holding down on the icon, choosing ‘remove app’, then installing again.
- There may be an issue with your mobile. Rebooting your phone will fix common errors and may solve a blank video output.
- Due to inactivity, your phone could be going into sleep mode or ‘lock screen’ as you are watching the video.
- If you want continual streaming, try making sure the lock screen timer for your phone is turned off and isn’t set to activate after every 30 seconds.
- Perform a factory reset of your Owlet camera following the instructions under the section titled ‘How do you reset an Owlet baby monitor?’.
- Confirm your camera is within the operational range of the WiFi router.
- Double-check that the Bluetooth signal isn’t being blocked by an obstacle near the baby.
How Long Do Owlet Baby Monitors Last?
The warranty of Owlet baby monitors is 1 year from the date of registration with the app.
The smart sock is only designed to be used for 1 year, though some parents continue to use it up until 18 months.
After then you may find the sock no longer fits your baby.
The lifespan of your Owlet baby monitor will be drastically improved with proper handling and care.
Here are some top tips for looking after your Owlet baby monitor:
- Clean the fabric sock and spot sensor every 2 weeks.
- This avoids irritation on your baby’s skin and improves the functionality of the product.
- Regularly check for updates on the Owlet app.
- Take care when plugging in and moving the cables around to avoid unnecessary strain and breakages.
General Pros And Cons For Owlet Baby Monitors
- Lots of additional features
- Employs the use of WiFi
- Ease of using an app
- Ability on some units to monitor sleep cycles and oxygen levels
- Tricky to setup
- The sock has a limited battery life
- It is necessary to pay for a subscription for some features
- Sometimes someone can trigger necessarily false alarms or notifications
Check out our blog about 8 problems with Infant Optics baby monitors.
- Owlet Support: Owlet Cam Top Troubleshooting Articles
- Owlet Care Support: Owlet Cam temperature and humidity sensor
- Smart Tech Ville: Why Does My Owlet Camera Keep Disconnecting?