Spotify recently introduced a new feature called “karaoke-mode”.
This is a major drawcard to karaoke fanatics; however, there are also some problems that users have experienced when accessing this feature.
This article will investigate these problems and suggest ways to solve them.
1. Spotify Karaoke Mode Is Not Available in Some Regions
Spotify’s karaoke-mode is not officially available. This is why there have been complaints by some users that this feature has suddenly disappeared.
Spotify is conducting karaoke feature trials in different regions. Once these trials are complete, it will be available to all users, and you will be able to use the mode after updating the app.
Until this is done, users seem to only have access to the mode for a couple of days.
At the time of writing, we cannot confirm which regions definitely do or don’t have access to this feature.
2. You Need To Update the App To Access the Feature
Many users find that once they update their app, their karaoke feature is usable for a period of time.
You can try to update your app and see if the tool becomes available.
As mentioned before, the karaoke-mode on Spotify is not officially available; however, once completely launched, it should be accessible by users irrespective of whether they are premium subscribers or not.
However, keep in mind that not all tracks may have the option for karaoke. This is because a song will need re-produced specifically for karaoke style. Some artists may prefer not to offer their song in a karaoke style.
Here’s how to update Spotify:
To use the karaoke feature, you must ensure that the app is updated to the latest version. The process differs according to the platform that you use to access the app:
Spotify on Desktop:
- When there is a recent update available, you will find a blue dot next to the ‘menu’ on the top right portion of the app.
- Hit the ‘notification bell’ on the top right and select ‘Update Available’.
- Then ‘Restart Now’. Alternatively, you can reinstall the app for the latest version.
- Access the App Store and search for Spotify’s page.
- Hit ‘Update’ and you will find the new feature.
- Select the ‘Google Play Store’ and find ‘Spotify’.
- On the store page, click the ‘Update’ button.
Please note, that if there is no option to update, it means that you are currently running the latest version of the app.
Here’s how to turn on automatic app updates with iPhone:
- Launch ‘Settings’ on the iPhone.
- Go to ‘General’
- Press ‘Software Update’ (There might be a waiting time of between 3 to 5 seconds).
- The screen will display, ‘Automatic Update’ and you can toggle it ON.
You will get notified prior to updates being installed. Ensure that your iPhone is charging and plugged into the Wi-Fi to complete the update successfully.
Here’s how to turn on automatic app updates with Android:
- Launch ‘Google Play’ and tap your profile icon.
- A menu list will appear, select ‘Settings’
- Go to ‘Network preferences’
- Tap ‘Auto-update apps’ to bring up the dialog box with three choices.
- Select the ‘Over Wi-Fi” option and hit ‘Done’
You can choose the ‘Over any network” option but be mindful that data charges may apply.
There are some other ways to work around the issue of only some regions having access to the karaoke-mode. Some people have used VPNs to gain access to the feature.
While this is a possible solution, we do not necessarily advise this as the Spotify app does not officially support VPNs. Additionally, many users have found that using a VPN can cause Spotify’s performance to slow down.
If Spotify karaoke is not available in your region yet, a better option would be to sing along using the lyrics feature. To access the feature, simply expand the lyrics tab at the bottom of your screen.
Here’s how to activate karaoke-mode:
- First, choose your song.
- Scroll down and tap ‘sing’ at the top right corner in the ‘Lyrics’ block.
- Sing the song.
- Wait for your results.
Those fortunate enough to be granted access to the feature can follow the above instructions to get the ultimate karaoke experience.
3. Ads Can Interrupt Your Performance
Spotify has a free version. However, Spotify still has to bring in revenue.
So if you’re a Free user, when you’re singing to your favorite tune, an app will pop up after every 2-4 songs. The primary reason Spotify shows ads is so that money can be made while users access the streaming service.
The best option for enjoying Spotify with no ads is to opt for a Premium plan. With this option, you do not have to get distracted by ads ruining your karaoke performance. Moreover, you can have unlimited skips and playlists. These benefits are enticing for many music lovers.
4. Sound Quality Is Limited With the Free Version
Spotify Free allows you to listen to tracks on normal (96 kilobits per second) or high quality (160 Kbps). Further adjustments over that bitrate are not possible.
If you are a karaoke enthusiast, you can upgrade to Spotify Premium, which features very high-quality streaming of 320 Kbps.
This enhances sound quality and makes for more detailed audio output, especially if your speakers and headphones are high quality too.
You can tweak these settings if you’re using your desktop, mobile, or tablet by going to ‘Audio Quality’ under ‘Settings’.
General Pros and Cons of Spotify Karaoke Mode
Karaoke Spotify mutes the singer’s voice so just your voice can be heard over the instrumental. The lyrics are available so that you can sing along. This makes for great practice if you intend on performing at a karaoke night.
Additionally, you get a score on how well you did. This tool is useful for people who want to hone their singing skills. If you have a competitive streak, you and your friends can have karaoke competitions too.
A TikTok video about this Spotify feature went viral. The clip garnered over 5 million views and generated 6,000 comments. So there is a lot of excitement surrounding this feature.
- Spotify karaoke-mode is not available in some regions
- You need to update the app to access the feature
- Ads can interrupt your performance
- Sound quality is limited with the free version
Please also read our article about common issues with Spotify’s Radio feature.
Spotify is constantly testing out new features to ensure that the app stays up-to-date and keeps users entertained. One such feature is karaoke-mode.
If you have not experienced this mode, you might have to update your app, wait until the feature is tested in your region, or, better still, wait for the karaoke-mode official release date.