Spotify, a leading music streaming platform, boasts a diverse user base with over 365 million active monthly users. We have also dived into general demographic data for music streaming, but today we’re zooming in on Spotify.
In this article, we will delve into the demographics of Spotify listeners to gain a deeper understanding of this vast audience.
Let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
Spotify Gender Demographics
Spotify, a popular music streaming service, has a diverse user base in terms of gender demographics.
Based on available information and statistics, the platform’s gender distribution can be summarized as follows:
- 56% of Spotify users are female, while 44% are male, making the platform skew slightly more towards female listeners
- This is a contrast to Apple Music, which features a 56% female to 44% male user ratio, with a higher proportion of female users in its user base
These figures indicate that both music streaming platforms have a relatively balanced gender distribution, although with a slight lean towards female listeners on Spotify and male listeners on Apple Music.
Spotify Age Demographics
Spotify user demographics reveal an inclination towards younger age groups, particularly Millennials and Gen Z.
The age distribution of Spotify’s user base displays a somewhat expected pattern, given the platform’s wide-ranging music catalog and focus on newer music releases.
- A majority of Spotify users are under 35 years old.
- The 18 to 34 age range accounts for close to 85% of listeners.
- Around 30% of Spotify users are aged 25 to 34, while 26% are between 18 and 24 years old.
- In the United States, 21% of adults aged 18 to 29 listen to Spotify several times per day.
- Users aged 25 to 34 show a higher preference for Spotify than those aged 18 to 24.
Even though the primary user base consists of younger adults, it is essential to note that the average age of Spotify users has been growing over the years.
Pretty interesting, when compared to BBC Radio 4 demographic profiles
This increase shows the wider acceptance of music streaming as the primary listening format for all age groups, regardless of their initial exposure to digital music trends.
In conclusion, Spotify’s age demographics affirm the platform’s appeal to younger users while simultaneously pointing towards an expanding user base with an increasing average age.
Spotify Location Demographics
Spotify boasts a diverse user base spanning multiple geographical locations.
The geographical breakdown of its monthly active users reveals:
- Europe: 34% of Spotify’s monthly active users, equating to over 124.1 million users
- North & Latin America: 46% of its monthly active users live in these regions
- Europe & North America combined: These two regions make up 58% of Spotify’s active user base, with a total of 211.7 million monthly active users
As a result, the majority of Spotify’s users can be found in Europe and the Americas, while other regions such as Asia and Africa contribute to the remaining user base.
The location demographics of Spotify users has implications for the streaming platform’s target market strategies, advertising, and content curation. Catering to this diverse audience helps Spotify maintain its dominance in the global music streaming market.
Spotify Education Level Demographics
Understanding the education level of Spotify users can help marketers and advertisers create targeted campaigns.
The following facts showcase the distribution of education levels among Spotify users:
- Spotify’s user base primarily consists of younger audiences, with 29% of users belonging to the millennial generation and 26% aged under 24 years.
- Considering the age groups mentioned above, a significant portion of Spotify users are likely to be students or recent graduates.
- Individuals with higher education levels are more likely to use streaming services and pay for premium memberships.
Spotify’s Target Group
Spotify appeals to a diverse range of users, with its core demographic being young adults, particularly Millennials and Gen Z.
The platform’s user base primarily consists of individuals below the age of 35, showcasing its popularity among younger generations.
Demographic data reveals that:
- 29% of Spotify users are aged 25 to 34
- 26% of users are aged 18 to 24
- Spotify’s audience is 56% female and 44% male
- Average daily usage is around 118 minutes per loyal user
- 34% of Spotify’s monthly active users reside in Europe, amounting to over 124.1 million users
- 46% of Spotify’s monthly active users live in North & Latin America
- A combined total of 211.7 million monthly active users are from Europe and North America
It is worth noting that while the majority of Spotify users are young adults, there is also a growing segment of older adults aged 55 and above who enjoy the platform’s offerings.
Additionally, the average age of users has been increasing steadily over the years, with music streaming becoming the dominant listening format for people of all ages.
Users vs. Active Daily Users on Spotify
It is essential to note that there are two significant categories of users on Spotify:
- monthly active users (MAUs)
- and daily active users (DAUs).
The MAUs refer to the unique users who access the platform at least once a month, while DAUs indicate the unique users accessing Spotify daily.
These key facts relate to Spotify’s MONTHLY active user demographics. Their activity is as follows:
- Spotify has added 133 million MAUs over the last two years (Q2 2020 – Q2 2021).
- Spotify estimates that it will have 400-407 million MAUs by the end of 2021, a forecasted increase of 17.97% compared to the same time last year.
- Spotify users are predominantly under 35 years old, but the average age has been steadily increasing as music streaming becomes the dominant listening format for all ages.
- The platform’s audience skews more female than male, with a 56% female to 44% male ratio.
- The average Spotify user is highly engaged, dedicating around 118 minutes per day to the app.
- 30% of Americans reported using Spotify monthly in 2021, an increase from 29% in 2020.
- Weekly usage among Americans also increased from 22% to 28% in 2021.
Spotify Vs. Other Music Streaming Services (by the numbers)
Spotify is by far the biggest music streaming service:
- Spotify: 32.2%
- Apple Music: 18.3%
- Amazon Music: 15.1%
- YouTube Music: 8.9%
- Pandora: 3.9%
- iHeartRadio: 2.8%
- Tidal: 1.6%
- Deezer: 1.3%
- SoundCloud: 0.9%
- Others: 15.0%
Note: These market share numbers are based on paid music streaming subscriptions only and do not include free users.
Spotify Ethnicity Demographic
While detailed ethnicity data is not readily available, the diversity of users can be seen in the consumption of different genres and artists from various ethnic backgrounds.
Spotify has embraced this diversity by offering curated playlists, incorporating multiple languages and showcasing artists from different cultures.
Other Quick Facts about Spotify
Alongside the detailed demographics of Spotify users, here are some other quick facts highlighting the service’s usage and popularity.
- With over 70 million tracks, Spotify offers an average of approximately 411,764 tracks per country (based on availability in 170 countries).
- Given 4 billion playlists on the platform, there are approximately 23,529 playlists per available track.
- Spotify Connect enables users to control playback on more than 1 device, expanding their listening experience across multiple environments.
- Acquiring Anchor and Parcast suggests a significant investment in podcast content, broadening Spotify’s scope beyond music streaming.
- The acquisitions of SoundBetter and The Echo Nest highlight a commitment to providing resources and tools to more than just listeners but also to thousands of artists and creators.
- 381 million monthly active users as of September 2021
- 172 million premium subscribers in Q3 2021
- 17 million users in the United States in 2018
- 49% of U.S. Spotify users were female in May 2020
- 51% of U.S. Spotify users were male in May 2020
- Majority of users are under 35 years old
- Average user age has increased steadily over time