Love videos on social media? So does Hootsuite.
Hootsuite supports videos for posting on social media, although with a few limitations. This feature can help brands and personalities create compelling content for their audiences.
Here’s What You Need to Know About Using Videos with Hootsuite:
Hootsuite offers users the ability to schedule and post videos on social media and track the performance of these videos, including how many views were garnered and the number of people reached. It can also integrate with YouTube.
1. What Is a Hootsuite Video?
Hootsuite can upload and host videos you upload to your social networks.
By saving it in the media library, you can easily recall a video you’ve uploaded and share it to your other social networks.
2. What Video Formats Does Hootsuite Support?
Hootsuite can work with videos with the following specifications:
- MP4 and MOV file types for web uploads, MP4 for Android app uploads, and MOV for iOS uploads
- Total video duration of 140 seconds for Twitter, 60 seconds for Instagram, 20 minutes for Facebook, and 10 minutes for LinkedIn
- An aspect ratio between 1:3 and 3:1 for Twitter, 4:5 and 16:9 for Instagram, 16:9 and 9:16 for Facebook, and 1:2.4 and 2.4:1 for LinkedIn
- Frame rate of 30 fps for Twitter, 23-60 fps for Instagram and Facebook, and 10-60 fps for LinkedIn.
3. What is the Largest Video File Size Compatible with Hootsuite?
The largest allowable video size on Hootsuite depends on the social network.
For Twitter and LinkedIn videos, you can upload videos of up to 512 MB.
Instagram has a 100 MB file size limit, while Facebook maintains a 1 GB video file limit.
4. Can Hootsuite Schedule Videos?
Hootsuite can schedule videos for posting on your social network profiles, just as it does regular posts.
But each video it uploads for you needs to be processed, especially if the file size is big.
That is why Hootsuite recommends that you upload your videos at least an hour before you plan to post it, so Hootsuite has ample time to process the video.
5. Can Hootsuite Post Videos to Instagram?
Hootsuite can post videos to your Instagram business page.
Hootsuite can also post videos to your Instagram stories, but it can only go as far as queuing your post.
You will be alerted when it’s time to post on your mobile device so that you can press the send button.
To learn more about using Instagram on Hootsuite, check out this article.
6. Does Hootsuite Have a Video Editor?
Hootsuite does not have an on-board video editor in the Dashboard.
However, if you are concerned about your video being compliant with your social networks, Hootsuite has a transcoding feature that adjusts your clip’s bitrate and dimensions.
This feature is available to subscribers under the Professional, Team, Business, and Enterprise plans.
If you are using a Free plan or a Legacy plan (Hootsuite paid plans that were made before the introduction of the current subscription model), you will need to manually adjust your clip before uploading.
7. Can Hootsuite Change the Thumbnail of the Video?
Hootsuite cannot change the thumbnail of your video.
Note that you can edit the thumbnail previews on Facebook. You can edit your video on the native Facebook web app if you want to change your video thumbnail on Facebook.
8. Does Hootsuite Generate Subtitles?
Hootsuite does not generate subtitles on its own.
But you can upload your subtitles or captions.
- Once you upload your video, you will have the option to add your SRT files, where the subtitles are loaded.
- You then need to rename the SRT file into filename.[language code]_[country code].srt so that Hootsuite can understand and synchronize your subtitle with your video.
If you don’t know the language and country code, check out the link in the Sources at the bottom of this article.
9. Does Hootsuite Work with YouTube?
Hootsuite works with YouTube, but it functions differently than other social networks that integrate with Hootsuite.
Here are some things you can expect when using YouTube and Hootsuite:
Hootsuite uses the Legacy Composer to upload videos.
If you want to use Hootsuite to schedule your videos for you, the Legacy Composer will handle the uploading and scheduling.
Verified YouTube accounts can do more in Hootsuite.
YouTube can verify your account so that you can unlock more features within Hootsuite, such as a longer play time for uploaded videos.
Verification on YouTube is different from when social networks recognize you as a celebrity or brand. Rather, it is a process that proves you are not an artificial bot roaming around social media.
YouTube verification is easy and only involves inputting a code sent to your phone into the web app of YouTube.
Once you have your account in YouTube verified, you can start uploading videos with a longer playing time.
Hootsuite does not have Analytics tools for YouTube
Most accounts won’t be able to view the analytics data for your YouTube videos via Hootsuite.
You can view your YouTube analytics in YouTube’s web app, or if you have a Business or Enterprise account, you can integrate Google Analytics to view your YouTube analytics within Hootsuite.
What kind of video files can you upload to YouTube?
Videos uploaded to YouTube must have the following:
- The file type must be in mp4 or m4v
- A total file size of 1 GB
- The aspect ratio must be 16:9
- The video must be 15 minutes long, at most.
Videos that run longer than 15 minutes need verified accounts to upload. If your video is not in 16:9 aspect ratio, YouTube will add black blocks around it to form a 16:9 ratio.
You can learn more in our article Hootsuite & YouTube: 10 Things You Should Know.
10. Can Hootsuite Measure Video Performance?
The analytics tools of Hootsuite let you see how well your videos performed in your social networks.
You can see how many impressions it made, its reach, how many people reacted to your video, and how many watched a particular part of your video.
11. What Are the Other Video Services that Integrate with Hootsuite?
Besides YouTube, one of the most popular video integrations in Hootsuite is Vimeo.
Vimeo lets you upload videos in bulk and track activity on your channel. You can also view your subscriptions and playlist updates and bookmark videos for later viewing.
Another option for video integrations in Hootsuite is Dailymotion.
Dailymotion lets you upload, search, and watch videos in the Hootsuite dashboard. You can also use the integration to share Dailymotion videos to your social media platforms.