Summer baby monitors are an affordable way of ensuring you can keep tabs on how your little one is doing when you’re not in the same room as them.
Technology can have problems. No product is without fault. Not only do Summer baby monitors give parents peace of mind, they also have the basic features that you would come to expect from a modern baby monitor, but they are not without their problems.
In this article, you can take a look at the issues that you may encounter with a Summer baby monitor and the solutions you need to have it working to the best of its abilities.
My Summer Baby Monitor Persistently Beeps
A continual beeping is not going to help anyone get a good night’s sleep and if your Summer baby monitor is doing just that then you may be wondering how to stop it.
It’s important to note that the Summer baby monitor is not beeping because of a malfunction. In fact, it is letting you know that there is a problem that needs to be addressed.
Main Reasons your Summer Baby Monitor is Beeping
- Your units (baby and parent) are not close enough to acquire a signal.
- The baby unit has powered down.
- Your parent unit is running low on power.
- Ensuring that your units are close enough to create a signal between them is essential for your baby monitor to actually serve its purpose.
- Once you’ve reduced the distance between them the beeping should stop.
- If you find that the baby unit is powered down then you will know immediately that the beeping from your parent unit is trying to alert you that the baby unit needs to be charged.
- Keeping the baby unit charged will prevent the incessant beeping and will also keep the two devices connected.
- If the baby unit is still switched on and the distance between the two units is at the recommended standard, then the answer is then likely to be that your parent unit is running low on power.
- Charge the parent unit with the power supply that came with your product.
Check also how to fix these issues with iFamily baby monitors.
My Summer Baby Monitor Keeps Squealing
If your Summer baby monitor is giving off a high-pitched squeal you may be wondering what the problem is.
If you’ve ever sung in a karaoke bar, way before the birth of your little one, you may remember that if the microphone was too close to the speaker a high-pitched squeal would be produced because of feedback – ruining your beautiful rendition of your favorite song.
Check our other blog about six problems with Motorola baby monitors.
Your Summer baby monitor is having the same problem – just without your pitch-perfect vocals!
This unpleasant sound from your baby monitor is easily solved:
- Keep the parent unit and baby unit far enough away from each other, but still within range.
- Parent and baby units should be kept in different rooms.
- If the distance is correct there should be no feedback. No feedback means no high-pitched squeal (at least not from the baby monitor. The baby on the other hand…)
My Summer Baby Monitor is Not Producing Any Sounds
Baby monitors should keep you up to date with every yawn, gurgle, coo, or cry, but if you’re not hearing a peep out of them then you may be worried.
If your Summer baby monitor does not seem to be making any sounds and yet your baby is bawling his or her eyes out then there is obviously a problem.
Why your Baby Monitor is Not Producing Sound
- The batteries are dead:
- No charge or power means no sound. Check if they are plugged in correctly and that they have charge.
- The parent unit volume is set too low:
- You will not hear anything from your parent unit if the volume has been set at a level that cannot be heard over the background noise of the room you are in.
- Press the volume up button to increase it.
- A proximity issue:
- As stated before, if the units are not close enough it can cause many problems, one being that you may not receive any sound at all.
- Move the units closer together to reestablish the signal.
- The units are not paired:
- If the units are no longer paired then they have no way of establishing a signal between them.
How to Re-Pair your Summer Baby Monitor’s Units
To re-pair your devices follow these steps:
- Power down the units.
- Find the ‘Vol +’ button and hold it down simultaneously with the power button.
- Wait until you see the red LED light flash and hear a beep sound.
- Switch the baby unit back on you should hear a beep from the parent unit.
- You have now successfully paired the two devices and you should now be able to receive sound again.
If this does not work then it may be necessary to perform a reset of the device. Instructions on how to do so can be found further down in this article.
My Summer Baby Monitor’s Camera is Not Working
If you’re having problems with your Summer baby monitor’s camera then discovering what the cause and solution are will be at the top of your agenda.
Common issues include:
- Reduced visibility
- No images
- Blurry or grainy picture quality
Best Solutions for Summer Baby Monitor Camera Problems
- Try pressing the ‘video on/off’ button. You’ll find this button at the upper end of the unit.
- Once you are definitely in video mode you should look for any object that may be in front of the lens.
- Remove any items that could be blocking your camera.
- Try decreasing the distance that the video signal must travel.
- It’s also worth checking if there are any electronic devices near to your camera that are interfering with it. Keep devices such as these away from the camera.
- Try re-pairing the camera to the unit.
- Switch both units on whilst they’re in the same room.
- Press the ‘OK/Menu’ button.
- Press the arrow up button.
- Choose to ‘Add Cam’.
- Press ‘OK/Menu’.
- On the camera press the ‘Code’ button.
- You will have successfully paired the device once the green power light flashes and then turns solid.
- Clean the lens of your camera.
- Use a microfibre cloth to remove any build-up of grime and dirt.
How do you Reset a Summer Baby Monitor?
If you are encountering issues and want to reset your Summer baby monitor, first try unplugging your monitor and removing the battery.
Wait a few moments before replacing the battery and reconnecting it to power.
If this fails, don’t worry. To perform a hard reset of your Summer baby monitor, follow these simple steps:
- Locate the ‘Reset’ button on the bottom of your parent unit.
- Press and hold the ‘Reset’ button whilst the power cord is still connected.
- Wait until the green LED light on the front of the unit begins to fade in and out slowly.
- Once it flashes, it will turn off. Your unit has been reset.
Wait a few minutes before using your Summer baby monitor again to ensure the reset is complete.
Read more about eight problems with BT bay monitors.
Where Can you Get a Baby Monitor Repaired?
If your Summer baby monitor’s performance has begun to suffer then it may be time for a service.
Summer Infant Inc. warns:
“Do not attempt to service this product yourself as opening or removing covers may expose you to dangerous voltage or other hazards. Refer all servicing to a qualified technician”.
Summer baby monitors have a 12-month warranty. Summer Infant Inc. will repair or replace a faulty or defective baby monitor within the 12 months of purchase for free, as long as you return the product and provide the original purchase receipt.
If you do not have the original receipt they will date the warranty from the manufacture date.
If you are unfortunately outside of this 12-month period, depending on where you are currently living, a local electrical repair shop should have qualified technicians that will be able to troubleshoot any problems you are experiencing.
- Note: Summer Infant Inc. state that you should ensure the service technician is only using replacement products specified by the manufacturer and you should instruct them to perform a safety check once repair/replacement is complete.
To order a replacement part you can find the details on:
Or phone 401-671-6551
Why is my Summer Baby Monitor saying No Signal?
There are several easily resolved reasons as to why your Summer baby monitor is displaying no signal. Here are the most common reasons and their solutions:
- The Parent unit and the Baby unit may be out of range of each other.
- To solve this problem, simply move the two units closer together to ensure they can function at their best.
- The maximum range for Summer baby units is 600ft.
- One or both of the units are placed too close to a large electrical or metal appliance such as a TV, microwave, oven etc.
- Ensure your units are more than 1 meter away from these appliances if possible.
- The battery has run out or one of the units is unplugged.
- Make sure the battery is fully charged and the units are plugged into power.
- Some users have reported that when their phone is next to the parent unit and receives a text or call, the signal strength of their Summer baby monitor is reduced.
- Try to avoid placing your mobile phone directly next to the product to avoid any interference.
- Accidentally pressing the ‘Options’ button can assign the wrong camera and your units will have no signal.
- Make sure you have the correct camera paired using the steps previously mentioned.
Why is my Baby Monitor Going Black?
If you are experiencing a blank screen problem on your Summer baby monitor, then check the following causes below and read the tips to help resolve the issue.
- Similarly with the no signal issue, if the Parent and Baby units are out of range of each other then no picture can be displayed, and instead, you will just see just a black screen. Try moving your units closer together to improve your picture quality.
- The monitor isn’t plugged in or fully charged. Ensure your Parent unit is connected to a power source and the battery charging light is visible.
- The screen brightness may be set too low. If you are in a bright room the brightness levels of your Summer baby monitor may need to be increased. This can easily be done using the controls on the monitor unit.
- Power-save mode has turned on. When your baby monitor is running on battery only, the screen will switch off or dim after a certain amount of inactivity to conserve battery power. To get the screen working again, simply tap any of the buttons on the monitor.
- Ensure nothing is obstructing the camera as this will produce a black screen on the display.
- Ensure the camera and monitor are correctly paired.
If unfortunately none of this resolves your problem, you may have a faulty screen. See the ‘Where can you get a Baby Monitor Repaired?’ section to service your product or order a replacement part.
How Long do Summer Baby Monitors Last?
The longevity of your Summer baby monitor depends on how you care for the devices. Over time, general wear and tear will reduce the efficiency of how they operate.
Knocks and bumps are commonplace in a busy household so it’s no surprise that baby monitors occasionally take a beating.
However, the biggest issue that faces Summer baby monitors will be the battery.
- Unfortunately, Summer baby monitors have had to recall around 800,000 batteries because of a fault.
- The faulty batteries can overheat and pose a fire risk or risk of burning.
- You can order a replacement battery from Summer Infant Inc.
General Pros and Cons for Summer Baby Monitors
- Night vision technology
- Two-way communication
- 360-degree tilt technology
- Remote control camera
- Signal issues
- Battery life and battery faults
- Needs frequent charging
- Screen display delays
- How to Troubleshoot a Summer Baby Monitor
- How can I reset my Smart Baby Monitor to the factory settings?
- Summer Instruction Manual
- Danger Alert: Baby Video Monitors by Summer Infant