Did you lose or break the remote that came with your TCL TV? Don’t fret yet—read on!
Can you just use any remote with your TCL or is there a specific remote to buy?
Are TCL TV Remotes universal?
Here’s What You Need to Know about the Compatibility of TCL TV Remote Controls.
TCL has a designated remote for each of the operating systems it uses for its TVs. However, you have options for replacements: You can buy the official TCL remote, download the remote app, or buy a third-party remote control.
Can I Use Any TCL Remote With My TV?
For the most part, you can use any TCL remote with your TV, as their TVs use the Roku operating system, which is used by many brands.
The only time there will be compatibility issues is when the TCL TV is Android, which is limited to the lower-end models.
Does TCL Have a Remote That Works Universally?
You can buy a universal remote from TCL.
This remote was designed to work with their Roku TVs.
Do TCL TVs Have a Remote Control App?
You can download a remote control app for your TCL smart TV on the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
Can You Replace A TCL TV Remote?
You can replace your TCL remote quite easily.
You even have options: You can opt to buy the official TCL remote that works with Roku, download the remote app, or buy a third-party remote control.
Do TCL TV Remotes Have Voice Commands?
TCL Roku remotes don’t have microphones, but the TVs are compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant.
For those using Android, the TV remote is likely to have a microphone for voice commands.
Can I Use Alexa to Control a TCL TV?
Not all TCL TVs have Alexa, but most of the newer TVs released by the brand feature compatibility with Alexa.
You will need the Amazon Echo Speakers to enable this feature.
Can I Use Google Assistant to Control a TCL TV?
Like with Alexa, most of the new TVs by TCL feature support for Google Assistant. You need to have a compatible hub to connect and enable the Google Assistant features.
Can You Use a Keyboard and Mouse to Control a TCL TV?
All TCL smart TVs released from 2015 onwards will accept keyboard and mouse control to navigate the Roku system.
How Do I Know Which Remote My TCL TV Needs?
The safest option for remote control compatibility would be to get the TCL universal Roku remote control or the TCL Roku TV app.
How Much Does a New TCL Remote Cost?
The TCL Roku remote costs around $10 brand new.
Also read our article on Are JVC TV Remotes Universal?
How Do You Pair a TCL Remote to a TCL TV?
If you need to pair a new remote to your TCL TV, here’s how to do it.
For Roku TVs:
- Check if the remote is the Standard or Enhanced Remote.
- To check which version you have, open the battery compartment and check if there’s a small button there.
- If there’s a button, it means you have the Enhanced Remote.
- Otherwise, you’re using the Standard Remote.
For Standard Remotes:
- Make sure your remote is within three feet from the TV and there are no obstructions.
- Turn on the TV and install the batteries of the remote.
- Press any button (except power), to initiate pairing of the remote.
For Enhanced Remotes:
- Make sure your TV is off.
- Open the battery compartment and press the pairing button for three seconds until the LED beside it flashes.
- Restart your TV and wait for the TV and remote to pair.
For Android TVs:
- Press and hold the Home and OK buttons at the same time.
- This will start the pairing process. Your remote must be within three feet from the TV and without any obstructions.
How Many Remote Controls Can You Pair with a TCL TV?
You can pair multiple remotes, but only one can use the headphone jack on the remote.
Can You Use a TCL TV without the Remote Control?
While you can use a TCL TV without the remote control, there are a lot of limitations.
You will be limited to functions such as channel switching, volume control, and power functions, which are the controls of which are found behind the TV.
That’s why, if you break your remote, you should download the TCL Remote app.
What Are the Best Third-party Remote Controls for TCL?
As remote controls can be one of the weakest links of TVs, here are some suggestions to use with your TCL TV.
Inteset 4 in 1 Universal Remote Control
If you’re looking for value for money, the Inteset 4 in 1 Universal Remote Control is a great pick.
- Holding it for the first time, you’ll get a premium feel, with its velvety layer and ergonomic design that makes it comfortable to hold.
- The buttons are quite intuitive to use, and the overall weight of the remote is less than six ounces.
- You get to program up to 32 commands to a key, which is a welcome feature for a budget remote control. Some of the things you can do include turning off all devices linked to it or change video sources.
- To help you keep track of what you programmed to a key, there are sticker labels that you can use.
- Buttons are mapped out well, and keys are very responsive. There’s also backlighting behind the keys to help you use the remote at night.
- This remote comes pre-set to Roku, which is a big boost, as TCL uses Roku for its TVs.
BroadLink RM4 Pro
The BroadLink RM4 remote control comes with a hub and gives you a lot of features to provide you better management over your TV and other devices that use infrared or radio frequencies.
- Some of the devices you can control with the RM4 include air conditioners, smart motorized curtains, projectors, and smart plugs.
- The RM4 is compatible with many other devices, provided they use infrared or radio frequencies for communication.
- If your smartphone features an IR blaster, you can even use it in tandem with the RM4. You can set it up via Wi-Fi, although it can only work with the 2.4 GHz band.
- Setting up the RM4 is pretty easy, as long as you follow the on-screen prompts of the Broadlink app. You can also use the RM4 with voice command systems, such as Alexa, Siri, or Google Assistant.
The SofaBaton U1 is a powerful universal remote control that does more than controlling your TV.
- Through the smartphone app of the SofaBaton U1, you can pair and manage up to 15 devices, including cable TV boxes and even smart light systems.
- It allows you to create hotkeys for particular actions and devices without overwriting commands for other devices.
- The SofaBaton U1 is a good option, considering that Logitech has discontinued its line of universal remotes that have similar functions.
If you break or lose your TCL remote control, you won’t have a problem finding a replacement.
A quick fix is the smartphone app, and a practical replacement would be the universal remote that TCL makes.
And there are also lots of third-party remotes that work well with TCL TVs and have plenty of features for controlling electronics in your home.