HBO has gone a long way in providing home entertainment. From its beginnings as a cable TV channel, it has evolved into one of the most popular video-on-demand services available.
After launching their web-only service in the last decade, HBO has since introduced HBO Max as part of its home entertainment offerings.
About Smart TVs and HBO:
HBO is one of the longest-running content providers for home entertainment. It offers both cable TV and video-on-demand options. HBO Max is its streaming app, which is compatible with many popular smart TVs on the market today.
Check also our full overview of what streaming services work with what TVs.
1. How Do I Get HBO Max on My Smart TV?
There are two ways to get HBO on your smart TV.
The first is through a cable TV subscription. Most cable TV service providers offer HBO as an optional part of their packages.
The second is through the HBO Max app. The HBO Max app is HBO’s response to the streaming market. With HBO Max, you can access content anytime.
The app for HBO Max is available on Android TV, Fire TV OS, and the Samsung Tizen OS. It also replaces previous streaming services, such as HBO Now and HBO Go in the United States.
Once you sign up for the service, you can download the app and sign in using your credentials.
While you can sign up for HBO Max, you can also get HBO Max as part of AT&T service packages, which also owns HBO Max.
Check out our article 5 Smart TVs Compatible With HBO Max to see our picks for smart TVs that work best with HBO Max.
2. Can You Sign Up for HBO Max on Your Smart TV?
You cannot sign up for HBO Max through your smart TV.
You can only sign up for HBO on your smartphone or computer by going to the HBO Max website.
Also, signing up for HBO Max can only be done in the United States and some select US territories. If you are outside of the allowed US territories, you can still use HBO Go for on-demand access.
3. Is HBO Max Free on Smart TVs?
You can download HBO Max on your smart TV for free. But you need to have a subscription to use the service.
HBO Max costs $14.99 a month. If you have a qualifying AT&T plan, you may be able to get HBO Max at no extra cost.
4. How Many Devices Can Use HBO at the Same Time?
Up to three devices can use your HBO account at the same time.
5. What Happens if the Devices Exceed the Limit?
If too many devices try to watch HBO Max simultaneously, you will get a prompt that you are logged into too many devices.
You will need to end the session on another device before you can proceed using your preferred device at the moment.
6. Can You Remove Devices Using HBO Max?
You can remove devices associated with your HBO account by logging into your account on your computer.
- Under the Settings page, go to Manage Devices.
- Look for the device you want to remove.
- Click on the X button to delete it.
Note that you cannot use a profile with parental restrictions to delete devices.
7. Are All Smart TVs Compatible with HBO Max?
Only smart TVs running Android TV, Fire TV OS, and the Samsung Tizen OS can use HBO Max.
But if your smart TV is unable to access the HBO Max app and has Chromecast built-in, you can mirror HBO from your smartphone or computer.
8. Do You Need a Cable TV Box to Use HBO Max on a Smart TV?
You don’t need to use a cable TV box to watch content from the HBO Max streaming platform.
You only need to be connected to the Internet to watch videos on it.
9. My Smart TV Will Not Connect to HBO Max.
Here are some reasons that your TV isn’t connecting to HBO Max:
- If you are using a VPN, disable it.
- HBO will cancel your account without a refund for accessing the service outside the allowed regions.
- For those using HBO as an add-on to Hulu, make sure that HBO is installed as an add-on. You will also have to make a new account on HBO Max with your Hulu account. Note that the HBO app on Hulu is still needed to access content that’s exclusive on HBO.
- For those who are using HBO through AT&T, check your account page to activate HBO. You may also have to create an account using your AT&T credentials.
- HBO is available on Samsung smart TVs that were sold in 2016 and later.
- The best way to resolve connectivity issues is to restart the app or reinstall it if restarting does not work.
10. Why Is HBO Max Not Working on My Smart TV?
Assuming that there are no issues with your HBO account, the common reasons for HBO not to work with your smart TV are Internet connectivity or the use of a VPN.
Disable your VPN, if it is in use, and recheck your Internet connection.
Then restart your HBO Max app.
HBO Max also does not work in areas outside the United States and select US-territories.
11. Why is HBO Max Pixelated on My Smart TV?
There are a few reasons HBO Max might appear pixelated on your smart TV.
If you are trying to view 4k quality on HBO, unfortunately, it does not support it yet. You can only stream HBO with a maximum streaming quality of HD or 1080p resolution.
And you need to have a bandwidth of at least 5 Mbps, which won’t be much of a problem since many Internet services now provide speeds that are way above that.
The HBO app also adjusts resolutions automatically, based on the quality of your Internet connection.
It may be an Internet connectivity issue, so check to make sure your Internet connection is secure.
12. Why is HBO Max Buffering on My Smart TV?
Buffering on HBO Max is often associated with low Internet speed.
While HBO Max automatically adjusts resolutions based on the current Internet speed, buffering means that the connection is quite poor and not ideal for streaming at the moment.
13. Why Does My Smart TV Not Have an HBO App?
If your smart TV does not have an HBO app pre-installed, and it is not available in its app store, it means it is not compatible with your smart TV.
HBO’s availability on a smart TV platform depends on how HBO brokers with the companies that manufacture smart TVs.
If the HBO Max app is not available on your smart TV, you can use a streaming stick, Chromecast, or another service to mirror it from another device.
14. Can I Download HBO Max Shows to My Smart TV?
You cannot download your favorite shows or movies on HBO to your smart TV.
But you can download them onto your smartphone if you have the HBO app downloaded onto your phone.
15. Do You Need a Smart TV to Watch HBO Max?
You don’t need a smart TV to watch HBO.
You can access the service through your desktop browser, your laptop, or even your smartphone.
16. How Do You Watch HBO Max on a Non-smart TV?
To watch HBO Max on a non-smart TV, you can subscribe to cable TV, but that service operates differently from the HBO app.
You can also use third-party hardware that can host the HBO app and connect it to your TV. All you need is an HDMI to get started.
Here are some options to consider.
You should also be reading our article which talks about HBO & Buffering – Here’s How You Fix It
Streaming Stick or Box
You can plug a streaming device such as the Fire TV stick or any Android-enabled streaming box into your HDMI port to access HBO.
Since these platforms already support HBO natively, you won’t have a problem connecting to the service.
You can also plug a Chromecast into the HDMI port of your smart TV and cast HBO from your smartphone or tablet to watch your favorite programs.
You also have the option of using your web browser and casting your screen to the Chromecast. Just make sure that your browser is compatible with HBO. Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge are compatible with streaming HBO.
In case you don’t know, HBO is also available on the Playstation 4 and Xbox One.
You can download the app in their app store and sign in from there.
17. My Smart TV Goes Blank when I Select HBO Max.
If your TV goes blank when you select HBO Max, you may need to restart the app or your smart TV to resolve this issue.
You can also check for app or firmware updates for your smart TV.
18. How Do I Sign in and out of HBO Max on My Smart TV?
To log into HBO on your smart TV, you will need a smartphone or computer to complete the process.
- On the smart TV HBO Max app, click on Log In.
- A six-digit code will appear onscreen—write it down! You’ll need to type it into your HBO account.
- Go to the HBO TV Sign In page on your smartphone or computer and log in.
- Enter the six-digit code when prompted.
- Your smart TV will now be connected to your HBO Max account.
If you don’t have an HBO account yet, you can still follow these steps, but you will need to create an account. You will be prompted to create an account to manage your settings and profiles. You will need that profile for devices you may add in the future.
To sign out of your smart TV, follow these steps:
- Using a computer or smartphone, log into the Settings Page of HBO and open Manage Devices.
- On this page, you will find all the devices your HBO account is logged into.
- Look for your smart TV and click the X.
- Confirm your action.
Your smart TV will now be logged out of your account.
19. My Smart TV Keeps Kicking Me off HBO Max.
If your TV keeps kicking you off HBO Max, you may want to check for HBO app updates or firmware updates for your smart TV.
If there are no updates, consider uninstalling HBO, then restarting your smart TV.
After restarting it, install the HBO app once more and sign in.
20. How Can I Watch HBO Max without a Smart TV?
If you are away from your smart TV, you can still take HBO with you.
You can access HBO through your smartphone or tablet. The HBO app is available for both iOS and Android devices. You can also watch HBO by logging into your account on your desktop browser or laptop.
HBO works on PCs with at least Windows 7, Macs with at least Mac OS 10.10, and Chromebooks. If you are going to use a browser, you need to be using Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge to access HBO on your computer.
21. HBO Says My Account is in Use When I Try to Use it.
If you get a message saying your account is in use and unavailable, you can try signing out from all devices that are logged into HBO from your computer.
- Log into your account and go to Settings.
- Under Manage Devices, there will be a Sign Out All Devices button above the list of devices associated with your account.
- Click on that and confirm your action. You can then try logging in again.
22. Can I Block HBO Max Access on My Smart TV?
Like any other app on a smart TV, you can opt to block HBO Max.
It depends on your smart TV, but the process of blocking an app is usually associated with setting parental controls.
On some smart TVs, blocking HBO Max means you cannot open it unless it is unlocked in the Parental Control settings. For other smart TVs, you need to enter a PIN code to use the app.
Take note that if you are looking to block HBO for a child, you may not need to block HBO as an app. You can instead set up profiles and control the level of access for a profile based on the intended user’s age.
For more details on blocking HBO, read our article How To Block HBO On Smart TVs.
23. How Do I Cancel My HBO Max Subscription?
If you are not satisfied with HBO Max, you can opt to cancel your subscription.
But you cannot cancel your subscription directly on your smart TV. You must cancel through the mobile app or on a computer.
Here is how to cancel HBO Max on your phone using the app:
- First, make sure you are signed into the profile you want to cancel with the billing information.
- Go to the Settings menu, and open Billing Information.
- Select Cancel Subscription and confirm the action.
Here is how to cancel HBO Max on your computer:
- Log into your account on the HBO Max website, then select the Profile with access to the billing information.
- Click on your name in the upper right corner, then select Billing Information.
- Open Manage Subscription and select Cancel Subscription on the right side of the My Account screen.
- Confirm the cancelation of your account, and your subscription will be terminated.
Once you end your subscription with HBO, you will still be able to watch content until the end of the billing cycle. So if your billing cycle ends every 24th of the month, and you cancel on the 20th, you will still be able to use HBO until the 23rd of the month you canceled.
You will also have the option to restore your subscription during this period, should you change your mind.
HBO Max is a good solution for those who want an extensive library of content without the hassles of signing up for cable TV or tons of streaming services.
It might be more expensive than other video-on-demand services, but it has one of the widest selections of films and TV series.